No announcement yet.

Additional Domain Controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Domain Controller

Hello all,

I had great results solving may last problem on this forum so I'm hopeful the same will be true of this problem.
    I have 2 Windows servers on my network. One is Windows 2003 Server and is the domain controller. The other is Windows 2000 Server. I'm trying to setup the 2000 server as an additional domain controller. When I run the wizard I get the following error message:

"The operation failed because: Failed to modify the necessary properties for the machine account 2-W2000$" Access is denied. "

"2-w2000" is the name of the Windows 2000 server.
    I'm using an administrator account so I'm confused as to why "access is denied". Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Additional Domain Controller

What is your Domain Functional Level? (Right click your domain within ADUC and select "Raise Domain Functional Level" and it will tell you what your current domain level is)

Why not just purchase a 2003 license and keep your domain at Windows 2003 instead of mixing between 2000 and 2003?

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **