X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS issue?

Hello all!

I have a strange problem...

We have Server 2003 set up as AD server. On server networking uses itself as DNS server and on DNS I configured forwarders.

On client PC`s there is only one DNS server, it is AD DNS server IP.
    When Domain controller is online all workstations can connect to inet. When I shut down DC, noone can access internet, because off course DC DNS is not reachable..

Can someone help me with this? It`s probably just one setting I missed to configure right

Thanks!

Re: DNS issue?

Would like to ask you a question Why you shut down DC?

Even if you have such requirement the I will suggest you to install another DNS Server which will conditionally forward queries for your AD Domain Namespace to DC & all other queries (Int.) to ISP DNS.

Further configure all clients to use this DNS Server.

Another Question How Users login when DC is down? (Cache Login?)
    Cheers!!
    MCSE 2003,MCSA- Messaging 2003, VCP

Comment

Yeah I have cached login...

Procedure of shutting down DC is done when no one is working except me, so I can afford it

I had such configuration before and it worked! I just don`t know what the hell I did wrong with new setup...

When DC is down, I would like to use uncle google without manually adding my gateway DNS server in network connections...

Thanks!

Comment

Give yourself a secondary DNS server that points to a DNS server on the internet.

How do you manage to get a DHCP address if you shutdown the server??

Comment

DHCP is managed via gateway...

Comment

Originally posted by gregaSLO View Post
            DHCP is managed via gateway...
            Ahh right.

Defeats the purpose of having a DHCP server on your DC though.

Comment

yep

So, you all suggest me to get secondary DNS server?

I think I read somwhere that having 2 DNS servers on a workstation in domain enviroment isn`t good idea at all. Or am I wrong and that applies only to DNS`s that are aout of domain (ISP DNS)?

Thanks!

Comment

I have 2 DNS setup on our machines here and it causes us no problems.

I didn't suggest installing a second DNS server. You could try using your gateway as a secondary DNS server on your machine only if you are the only one who will need to use it.

Comment

If I use second DNS as my gateways dns IP, after some time, I loose connection with domain Weird...

Suddenly I cannot find exchange server

but inet off course works...

Comment

What is the purpose of shutting down the DC, even if you are the only one working? Security concerns? IMHO I would install a second DC for the domain and set it up as second DNS server and leave them both running all the time.

Comment

No no, lol you missunderstood me...

I only shut down DC when requires reboot or HW replacement or Windows Update for example...

I don`t shut it down like for all night or so

Comment

If I use second DNS as my gateways dns IP, after some time, I loose connection with domain Weird...

Suddenly I cannot find exchange server

but inet off course works...
                        Thats because the internet DNS doesn't know about your internal namespace. You could then start using your HOSTS file and placing an entry in that for all your critical servers.

You don't need to keep the secondary DNS server in place though. You could just add it when you need to.

Just out of curiosity how long does it take your server to reboot???

Can't you live without the internet while it does this??

If you are replacing hardware you shouldn't be at your desk browsing the net anyway.

Comment

DC takes about 2 minutes to reboot (VmWare)...

Guess I can live without inet for those 2 mins...

Comment

DC takes about 2 minutes to reboot (VmWare)...

Guess I can live without inet for those 2 mins...
                            Yes, but what about when the server fails and has to be rebuilt or something like that? What you could do is to have your DHCP server issue 2 IP addresses as the DNS addresses, which is what Wullieb1 said
                            Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                            ... You could try using your gateway as a secondary DNS server on your machine ...
                            I suggest that the first DNS issued by DHCP should be your Domain Controller's IP addres, and the second one should be your DSL Broadband Router's address. That way, if the DC goes down, the router will be the DNS and your client PCs will still connect to the web. If your clients make use of offline caching, your DC can go down and the client PCs may not even notice! This is good redundancy and works well in a small network (although with several servers it's not so effective, because the router can't be an effective DNS server for internal computer names).
                            Best wishes,
                            PaulH.
                            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thanks!

Setting back vmware (complete image) takes about 15 minutes...

I will do that.. Second DNS will be gateway`s IP, will try it...

Comment

Working...
                              X