Internet Connectivity Issues with RRAS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Connectivity Issues with RRAS

I am running a PC with Server 2003 and Active Directory, with DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP running on the same server. I have a RRAS server that is a member server that i use to connect this domain out to the internet. I have static IP's that I lease from my ISP (Qwest). I have 2 NIC's in the RRAS Server. the LAN is statically assigned (10.1.x.x) the WAN is assigned to one of the Public IP's that I lease.
    I am able to connect to the RRAS server via Remote Desktop ( I am in it as we speak), but the RRAS server will no longer connect to the internet. I would think that if it were a problem with the router I would not be able to remote into the RRAS Server. I reset the 2wire, and re configured it for the static IP, but I am still not getting anywhere. It was working fine on Saturday when I initally got it all set up.

My Setup:
    The RRAS server is multihomed. one connection going to the 2wire, and the 2nd is going into a switch to provide routing to the domain.

He is my set up: I have 2 separate networks in my house. One is for myself and my roommates and the other is my Windows Server 2003 Domain that I use for education purposes and to host my servers

The home network has a subnet of 192.168.x.x there are two laptops and 2 desktops connected to this network. The internet is served by the 2wire and is set up for NAT. there is no issues with connectivity

I have my own domain name and a service that is hosting my dns for me. There is no issues regarding this.

The 2003 domain is: Server1 with Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, and IIS. I am also running an ftp and web server on this box as well.
    The other server is only running RRAS. I have the internal NIC set up with 10.1.x.x and the WAN NIC with the static IP. I configured the 2wire with the static IP per the instructions from Qwest.
    I also have a client PC running XP connected to the domain.
    When I initially set this up all was working fine. Now 2 days later the Windows domain cannot access the internet. I am also getting event ID11166 on the RRAS server. Everything on the domain controller is looking ok.
    Am I missing some setup in RRAS? I do not understand why it is working then it stops working???

Re: Internet Connectivity Issues with RRAS

If you do a tracert to an outside address, where does it stop?
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

When I do a tracert to google's IP it times out after the first hop and continues to so.

It is odd that I can use remote desktop to get to the RRAS server via IP, but no internet.
      ???

Comment

Ok lets see.

Let me list out your points:

1) Ur RRAS can go into the internet.
        2) Ur other PCs can reach ur RRAS but not the internet.
        3) You have 2 internal subnet (LAN) - 192.168.x.x and 10.1.x.x
        4) RRAS have 2 NIC - one to WAN, another for LAN
        5) It works when you first setup

Please correct me if I am wrong.

My reference for you:
        - If you have 2 internal subnet with one NIC, definitely one of your subnet wont work under normal configuration
        - Check how is your IP addresses being setup for your client pc: static or dynamic?
        - Check default gateway setting of client pc

Do update us on process.
        Just another MCP

Comment

1) Ur RRAS can go into the internet.
          No I can connect to the RRAS Server with remote desktop from the internet

2) Ur other PCs can reach ur RRAS but not the internet.
          Yes. With RRAS configured the Domain Controller and the client PC's can all talk to one another, but noe of them can connect to the internet

3) You have 2 internal subnet (LAN) - 192.168.x.x and 10.1.x.x
          Yes and No. I have 2 separate networks that are being serviced by the same DSL Router. The 192.168.x.x's internet traffic is being serviced by the DSL router (and works).
          The 10.x.x.x Networks is supposed to get its internet connection from the RRAS server.
          The RRAS server has 2 NICs the WAN is configured for a Public Static IP. The same Public Static IP is configured on the DSL router. the internal LAN NIC is configured as 10.x.x.x

RRAS Server LAN and WAN
          WAN
          IP: 71.x.x.x (assigned by ISP
          SNM: 255.255.255.248 (assigned by ISP)
          DG: 71.x.x.x (assigned by ISP)
          DNS: 10.1.1.1 (pointing to domain controller

LAN
          IP: 10.1.1.2
          SNM: 255.0.0.0
          DG:10.1.1.2
          DNS:10.1.1.1

Domain Controller
          IP:10.1.1.1
          SNM:255.0.0.0
          DG:10.1.1.2
          DNS:10.1.1.1

4) RRAS have 2 NIC - one to WAN, another for LAN
          Yes. See above
          5) It works when you first setup
          Yes, and then it stops working?

The domain controller is running active directory. DHCP and DNS are installed and configured. Everything on te network works except none on the computers can access the internet. It does work initially, but then it stops working.

Comment

Originally posted by zman71 View Post
            When I do a tracert to google's IP it times out after the first hop and continues to so.

From which machine you started the tracert?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

From the RRAS server

Comment

I can run RRAS as a member server and do not need to configure it as a domain controller correct?
                presently it is set up like this:

2Wire HG2700 DSL Router>RRAS Server>Domain Controller (DNS, DHCP)

Comment

Working...
                X