Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distribution of Group Policy

Hi all

Ive made some changes to my Group Policy on my main Windows 2003 Server but the change is not going down to the local pc's. How do I push the amended policy to the pc's within the domain?

Many thanks
    DW

Re: Distribution of Group Policy

Clients will automatically refresh their group policy's every 90 minutes (5 for Doman Controllers) but this can be changed.

Or, you can run "gpupdate" on the client PC's to refresh the policy straight away (If your using XP) or restart the PC

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Ok, run the gpudate, a blackbox appears on the screen for a split second then it disappears. At this point, has the plicy been updated? If so, then its not worked.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Run it from a dos prompt just to make sure if runs fine.

What change have you made to the group policy?

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Michael, well done on passing the exams (just read your blog)

Ive run it from the dos prompt and the screen confirms the policy has updated.

What Ive edited
          Ive made a change to the User Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Attachment Manager|Inclusion List for moderate risk file types.

Why have I done this
          We have a exe on one of our network drives. A shortcut has been created on all users desktops. When users double click the shortcut, they are prompted with the standard "The publisher could not be verified blah blah blah etc"

What Ive done to test it works
          When you enable the above group policy element and add .exe to that particular policy, the shortcut runs without the prompt. Ive tested this solution on my laptop (not part of the domain), once I double click the shortcut it runs without the security prompt. Ive then amended policy and put it back to disable, the laptop then prompts.

Thanks
          DW

Comment

Check which policy are applied on you pc.
            Go to cmd and type gpresult.
            This will summon the policies applied to the computer and the user (who is currently logged on).
            [Powershell]
            Start-DayDream
            Set-Location Malibu Beach
            Get-Drink
            Lay-Back
            Start-Sleep
            Wake-Up!
            Resume-Service
            Write-Warning
            [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Ok, good work guys. When I did the gpresult I notice where it was pulling the policy from. I checked the server and noticed that no group policy had been loaded into the Active Directory Sites and Services. Once I loaded the default group policy into the Default First Site Name Properties|Group Policy tab. I was able to make the change to the particular policy and then update the clients, HEY PRESTO - it works!!!

Thanks for you help everyone.

Regards
              DW

Comment

Working...
              X