Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deleting old user names and computer names in windows 2000 server prior to migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting old user names and computer names in windows 2000 server prior to migration

Hello all:

First i am new to this forum.

I have read that you should not delete old user names or computer names from active directory as it will cause problems.

We currently have a pdc windows 2000 server and a sdc Windows NT server. I will be replacing both of these with Windows 2003 server standard RC2. Over the years these computers have seen lots of network redesign( computer name changes) and a lot of staff changes.

So i would like to get rid of all useless computer names and users prior to migrating to 2003.

Is this a wise move and if so is it just a simple matter of deleting them or is there another rout that i am supposed to take

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Deleting old user names and computer names in windows 2000 server prior to migrat

I don't see why there would be any problem deleting old user and computer accounts. I say go ahead and do it.

Comment

Re: Deleting old user names and computer names in windows 2000 server prior to migrat

I think it's nice to clean up your AD infrastructure before migrating. Why migrate accounts that are no longer used / required?

For user, simply delete all account no longer required and ensure their mailbox are also removed (If no longer required)

For computer accounts you can use a tool called Old Comp from www.joeware.net (http://www.joeware.net/freetools/tools/oldcmp/index.htm)

Command line Active Directory query tool. Primarily used to find and cleanup old computer accounts that haven't been used. Can also be used to clean up user accounts when the proper filter is specified.
      Hope this helps

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X