Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can Win2k3 backup to Rev drive but not Win2k

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could explain why win2k3 NT Backup can backup directly to a Imoega Rev Drive but Win2k NT backup cannot. Win2k NT Backup just reports that the drive in not a valid drive or you dont not have access to the drive.

Re: Why can Win2k3 backup to Rev drive but not Win2k

Does Win2K have Dynamic or Basic disks? I have been told first hand that the Rev drive has problems with Dynamic disks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have used an Iomega Rev drive on a Win2k computer, (but not with dynamic disks).

Excuse me for stating the obvious, but a Rev drive only becomes writeable if the drivers are installed - it is easy to plug a Rev drive in and see it in My Computer then assume all is fine, but it isn't - it's like a CD Rom until the drivers are on, and then a reboot. Sorry if this is such an obvious suggestion, I mean no harm!
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

And is it IDE or SATA internal or USB external?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Its a USB Rev Drive attached to a Win2K Server SP4 with Dynamic Disks

The Drivers are installed

I can copy files to the drive manually.

Its states on the Iomega web site that win2K NT backup isnt supported, I have emailed Iomeage support and all they say is that there is no problem with their drive its a problem with the NT Backup software from Microsoft.

I want to know what this problem is, as win2k3 NT Backup can backup directly to the rev drive.

Anyone have any Idea what the problem might be?
          Last edited by kipkenyen; 20th August 2007, 14:21.

Comment

don't know what the problem is - since Iomega know about it, I think you're on a hiding to nothing trying to find out. I do suspect that it IS a problem with the Win2k Rev drivers. However, Iomega will never admit that.

You could use a workaround - backup to a local hard disk and schedule a simple batch file that moves the backup bkf file ontot he Rev. Just an idea.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
            X