Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling "Previous Versions" Tab

Hello,

I have a Windows 2003 Server file server on which I have setup volume shadow copy. I just realized that all the Windows XP clients on the network have access to the "Previous Versions" tab of shared folders on this server. This is a major security problem for me since any of these users can overwrite a file/folder with a previous version or worse yet restore the entire directory. I only want these options available to a few key people that know what they are doing. How can I selectively disable the "Previous Versions" tab? I've found information on Microsoft's site for disabling it for Terminal Server users but the methods don't seem to work on regular Windows XP clients.

Is there a simple way to disable this feature on a client's Windows XP pc?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Disabling "Previous Versions" Tab

Uninstall the Shadow Copy Client.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Shadow client is part of XP SP2 so can not be uninstalled. Have a read of this KB and see if it helps. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888603
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I read that KB article and made the registry entries suggested but to no avail.
        I find it hard to believe more people aren't having problems with this. It looks like I'm going to have to disable volume shadow copy at the server. What a shame since I consider a great feature.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Giving up a bit quick aren't we? Have you had a look through all the GPOs?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Unregister twext.dll in in your client computers' login script:
            Code:
            regsvr32 /u twext.dll
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
              Unregister twext.dll in in your client computers' login script:
              Code:
              regsvr32 /u twext.dll
              That worked like a charm. I didn't run it in the script but it worked running it at a command prompt. The only hitch was I had to be logged in as administrator. If not I received a popup window indicating the dll had been unregistered but the previous versions tab was still available. After running the command as administrator the tab disappeared.
              When you mentioned unregistering the dll in the client login script I assume that was to make it easier to do multiple clients - not that it needs run each time the client logs on. After I manually unregistered it seemed to "permanently take".

Thanks for your help any others that replied.

Comment

Well, running it at startup every time does ensure that when you buy a new XP box, and plug it in, the dll will unregister on that too,otherwise you'd have to remember to do it on new PCs (or ones that die and need reformatting.. ).

But that pesky "Has to be administrator" requirement is another matter - I hadn't thought of that!
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.
                MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

You may wish to check this out as an option:
                  http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=10906

Registry options to remove the tab or to just remove the "restore" button

Also:
                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888603
                  http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/sho...oto=nextnewest
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Nice finds, both of ewes. :thumbsup:
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      You may wish to check this out as an option:
                      http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=10906

Registry options to remove the tab or to just remove the "restore" button

Also:
                      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888603
                      http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/sho...oto=nextnewest
                      I've already tried the registry option to remove the tab and it had no effect - the tab remained. Not sure why that is. I didn't try the "remove restore button" option. That still wouldn't keep a user from overwriting files with previous versions, although that is not near the problem as a complete restore could be.
                      I'm still dumbfounded that Microsoft allows this "tab" by default.

Comment

Originally posted by dumbterminal View Post
                        I've already tried the registry option to remove the tab and it had no effect - the tab remained. Not sure why that is. I didn't try the "remove restore button" option. That still wouldn't keep a user from overwriting files with previous versions, although that is not near the problem as a complete restore could be.
                        I'm still dumbfounded that Microsoft allows this "tab" by default.
                        Actually, if you read the first link I gave, disabling the restore button prevents overwriting:
                        NOTE: If you only disable the Restore button on the Previous Versions tab, the client can only copy an earlier version to an alternate location. They cannot overwrite the current version with an earlier version of the file.
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                        X