Member Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member Server

We have a Win 2003 R2 server (call this serverA) acting as the DC. We have a member server (call this serverB, that is on the serverA domain). We would like to use serverB for file and print sharing. How do we go about joining this to serverA so we can use the AD users for permissions ect.

Many thanks,

Nathan

Re: Member Server

If serverB is a member of the domain ServerA is running then it is already set-up.

When specifying permissions on objects just change the scope to be domain instead of the local machine or when you add a group / user specify the domain in fron the of the name. i.e.

If the domain is domain.local and you want to add a group called helpdesk to access a shared folder then enter:

domain.local\helpdesk in the permissions of the resource and give then what ever permissions they require.

I hope you understand. If your still stuck then let us know and someone can add some screenshots. I can't add them at the moment unfortunately.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

"In short"

Add server B to the domain.
      Add the file server role to server b (if hasen't been done yet).
      Create folders structure, and set NTFS permission for these folders.
      Create your shares in the created folder structure, and configure sharing.
      Beware, the default share permission is read only to the everyone group.

Install Printers on this server and share them.
      You get the option to publish the printer in active directory, when running through te share this printer wizzard.
      [Powershell]
      Start-DayDream
      Set-Location Malibu Beach
      Get-Drink
      Lay-Back
      Start-Sleep
      Wake-Up!
      Resume-Service
      Write-Warning
      [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

I'v have been trying domain.local/username but it cannot find it. Any ideas?

Comment

Found the problem, a certain person (who may get a slap) had made a typo when putting the DNS in. All is well now.

Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X