Boot a runtime Windows Server from CD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot a runtime Windows Server from CD

My security requirements dictate that the Windows server machine must be configured with zero non-volatile storage(hard drive or USB etc.).

Can Windows Server boot to a RUNTIME application from a CD?
    How is the runtime image created on the CD once a configuration is built with a hard drive?
    Will it run with only the CD installed? No hard drive.

My alternative is to treat it as a client using one of the diskless boot software applications from a remote network location.

Re: Boot a runtime Windows Server from CD

I'd look into a DVD not a CD if you are going to look down that route.
    Is using volatile storage acceptable for a pagefile?

BartPE is a great starting point for any Windows live CD/DVD research.

Oh! Google = All your prayers answered.

Have fun with the
    trial and error.
    part.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

ERD commander works like Barts does, sept its a little more indepth and includes additional features to repair computers... like connecting to a registry and windows based tools.

barts is more suited to your application. it is fully customizable and can be suited to the hardware you have in place...
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by viperpilot View Post
        My security requirements dictate that the Windows server machine must be configured with zero non-volatile storage(hard drive or USB etc.).

Can Windows Server boot to a RUNTIME application from a CD?
        How is the runtime image created on the CD once a configuration is built with a hard drive?
        Will it run with only the CD installed? No hard drive.

My alternative is to treat it as a client using one of the diskless boot software applications from a remote network location.
        Can i ask why??

Comment

BartPE would definitely work, but I think you'll be sorely lacking regarding running "standard" applications. Most of the application plugins for BartPe are homegrown, open source, etc. and it will probably require a lot of work getting any "shrink-wrapped" applications running. Version 3110a of BartPE will also let you create a bootable USB drive.

Comment

Have you considered Virtualising the server then marking the VHDs as READ ONLY. This is the MS approach for training PCs so the student cannot shut down and commit changes. You would then be able to use "proper" server but ensure changes are never committed to the drive.

What sort of environment requires this level of security?

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

To all.

1. The level of security is DOD required of this application.

2. I took everyone's advice, thank you and did further testing and settled on Ardence streaming software. It's acceptable and has been very stable in multiple applications.

Thanks

Comment

Very nice.
                The SBD option was it? From my reading/understanding of their site this (SBD) replaces the PXE version completely?
                Would you know, are their SBDs able to boot from USBkeys without being limited to 2Gb? Or am I way off on how it works?
                I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
                Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
                X