Disk Quota Problem !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Quota Problem !

We've a Windows 2003 R2 File Server. Lets assume Folder A is a primary shared folder and folder B,C,D and E are also shared. Users map to these folders to get their files. Is there any way that we can give Folder A at least 6 GB of space which never gets lower than that. The reason I'm asking this because we are using this server for multiple users but Folder A needs at least 6 Gb of free space on the disk to run assigned processes properly. Folder B, C, D and E are using lot of space and they some times make the disk usage close to threshold mark. Than we need to clean B,C,D,E folder manually. I know we can assign quota to the root of the drive but is there any way of assigning quota to the folders?
    Thanks

Re: Disk Quota Problem !

as i understand it, you cannot assign quotas to folders, only volumes.

if you want to separate the quotas by folders, then you will have to either:
    1. move the B,C,D, & E folders to a separate volume with the quota enabled as you want it. if the volume in question is a RAID, you could consider breaking the array (after backing up the contents) and creating 2 logical volumes, then configure the quotas independantly.
    OR...
    2. get novell.
    OR...
    3. http://www.spaceguard.com/
    this tool will allow you to create quotas on folders like you want.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

or
      4) Upgrade to Server 2003 R2, which does support per folder quotas....

Damnifiknow how to ensure 6Gb of free space except to make sure all users quotas on the volume add up to X-6 GB
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is a server 2003 R2 but I don't see in properties of folder to assign disk quota option. Can anybody please direct me how to do it?
        Thanks

Comment

Hi,
          Would this be any help to you?
          I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
          Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            or
            4) Upgrade to Server 2003 R2, which does support per folder quotas....
            ooops! sorry, wasnt aware that was an available feature on R2.

didnt mean to give any misleasing info... my bad.

Comment

James, as we all know, it is really hard keeping up with all the changes especially if the location you are at hasn't installed/upgraded to the new version. Do not feel bad about it as you provide excellent help on this site. Keep it up.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
                ooops! sorry, wasnt aware that was an available feature on R2.

didnt mean to give any misleasing info... my bad.

Nothing misleading in what you said -- as Biggles pointed out, there is too much happening to keep track of it all!
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  James, as we all know, it is really hard keeping up with all the changes especially if the location you are at hasn't installed/upgraded to the new version. Do not feel bad about it as you provide excellent help on this site. Keep it up.
                  Originally posted by Ossian
                  Nothing misleading in what you said -- as Biggles pointed out, there is too much happening to keep track of it all!
                  you guys really mean that? im flattered... as i know i have a long way to go before im as helpful as you guys... but i am glad that you guys realize im only trying to help.

and for the record, it is hard to keep track of all the new additions from OS to OS...

thanks for the comforting reply guys, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
                    and for the record, it is hard to keep track of all the new additions from OS to OS...
                    You are 100% correct on that one.
                    Now relax, enjoy one of the Boss's (just dont tell him about it)
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X