Installing Secondary Logon Service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Secondary Logon Service

I need to install Secondary Logon service (for PostgreSQL) and I'm afraid I don't have it at all. Any way to install it without reinstalling Windows? I'm using Windows XP SP2 Pro.

I tried to create service with sc-command

>sc create seclogon binPath= "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs" start= auto DisplayName= "Seconday Logon"

but service doesn't start. Status reports starting but it never actually starts.
    Last edited by kharlog; 13th August 2007, 16:35.

Re: Installing Secondary Logon Service

The secondary logon service is installed by default on Windows XP Pro as long as you have a network I believe. It starts when it's needed; i.e. when you map a drive or run a program with different credentials to those logged in.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

True, but for the service has been deleted in this computer. The question is can I somehow restore it.

Comment

Hi,
        I've done a little looking at this, have a look at Parameters subkey at the bottom of the page.
        So we might need to include the seclogon.dll in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\seclogon\Parameters
        Unfortunately adding this only changes the error we get.

This is as far as I've gotten so far. A look at the registry of a PC that hasn't been tinkered with would solve a lot of these questions.
        Unfortunately I never thought to export my own before I started playing around.

SVChost.exe and SC.exe for reference.
        I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
        Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Hi,
          All fixed! Whew! I was worried there.

I added the two attached reg files into the registry and viola! If you have been playing around since and haven't any seclogon info running you can just run the SC command again.
          Oh and don't forget the r in secondary.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Maebe; 15th August 2007, 21:03. Reason: I may have been a little confusing so I editted and now I'm clear as water. :p
          I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
          Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Thanks a lot for you effort. Unfortunately this only makes secondary logon look correct in the service view (services.msc) but it doesn't work as it should. When I try to start the service I get error 126: The specified module could not be found.

I'll give up and reinstall windows...

Comment

Working...
            X