• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot reset user's passwords through AD

Our environment has 3 DC's

Server 1 Windows 2000
    Server 2 Windows 2003
    Server 3 Windows 2003 SP2

Server 1 has been here since the beginning, I eventually added server 2 and 3 within in year because I plan to eventually demote Server 1 and get rid of it. These servers have been running together for a while, and I have been slowly mirgrating to Server 3 (which will eventually replace Server 1)

Today I logon to Server 3 and try resetting a users password through the AD Users and Groups MMC and I receieve this error:

"Windows cannot complete the password change for (user) because:
    the network path was not found

I can only reset a user's password by logging on Server 1's AD Users and Group MMC. Server 2 and 3 will not work, I tried googling and looking on MS's site but didnt find anything useful.

The only thing I can think of is it has to do with the FSMO roles specifically the PDC Emulator. I moved the FSMO roles from Server 1 to Server 3 since I will be demoting it soon, all 5 roles have been transfered and I double checked them with ntdsutil.

Any ideas?

Re: Cannot reset user's passwords through AD

Have you tried running netdiag and dcdiag from the windows 2003 support tools to see if either report any error messages?

Are there any error messages in the eventlogs on Server3?

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Cannot reset user's passwords through AD

and double check with the PDC master role functionality