Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add a multiple FTP sites with same port

HI ,

We are using Windows 2003 server and i have configure the FTP site under the IIS 6.0 , now my root site is abc.com and now i want to configure the sub directories like xyz.abc.com , pqr.xyz.com , on the same port so how can i create it ..

pls guide me ..

Kathy

Re: How to add a multiple FTP sites with same port

You can't do it as such. FTP does not support host headers like www does, so you cannot make a xyz.abc.com ftp site on the same ip address and port as your abc.com ftp site. What you can do is create virtual directories under the root site for each additional site, such as "ftp://abc.com/xyz". Each client would need to type the full path to the virtual directory in order to access it.
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 11th August 2007, 23:24.

Comment

Hi,

You can add Ip addresses to each FTP site. that way you can use the same port with different ips.

Michael

Comment

Hi ,

THanks for your great help !! I have created the virual sub directories ...now the thing is i want to limit the upload download speed for the user ...so is ther any tricks for this ...how can i do this...

kathy

Comment

This is an instance where a good 3rd party FTP server would probably offer a range of features the standard one in IIS6 does not
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any native way to throttle FTP connections like you can on web sites. You can use a third party product called NetLimiter to throttle the bandwidth of the FTP process. You can find it at www.netlimiter.com.

Comment

As previously mentioned...

You're better off using a 3rd party FTP server rather than using an app to mod the default FTP server. MS's implementation of FTP is probably the most basic FTP server around and lacks features that most Admins probably want. There is no way to do anything other than serve files over FTP, forget about limiting users uploaded/download speed or setting quotas.

Check out FileZilla, it's open source and free and will limit a user's traffic.
              http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=21737

OR

BulletProof FTP, for a simple commercial FTP server that will limit a user's traffic.
              http://www.bpftpserver.com/
              Last edited by ahinson; 15th August 2007, 17:06.
              Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks , Ahinson ..its a great solution ...I really appreciate it ..

thanks joeqwerty , Ossian also...

Kathy

Comment

Your welcome. You'll be giving me advice one of these days I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by kathy View Post
                    Hi ,

Thanks , Ahinson ..its a great solution ...I really appreciate it ..

thanks joeqwerty , Ossian also...

Kathy
                    No problem glad to have helped. Just a quick note, the drawback to using some of the available 3rd party FTP servers is that you lose the ability to have a centralized user authentication system.
                    If you can overlook that then FileZilla is your best bet.

Cheers!
                    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X