Printer Pooling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer Pooling

Could i please gain some direction about the concept of printer pooling. I've got a print device and i've added 2 printers (LPT1 / LPT:2). On the second printer i've enabled printer pooling for both ports and changed the priority. The second printer won't print. Only the printer that is on LPT1 will print.

Re: Printer Pooling

Where is the printer physically attached to? If it's attached to LPT1 then it will only print if you send data to LPT1. Set up both printers to LPT1 and change the priority of one of them; or maybe set the paper up different on one of them.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

The printer is physically attached to LPT1. If i had 2 parralel printers connected to the one computer, would i then be able to pool different LPT ports ? I configured them both to LPT1 and they both print. the printer with the lowest priority is finishing all it's jobs first then the higher priority printer is printing. The print jobs are very small...should i send a large document to the lower priority printer and a smaller one to the higher priority printer? The smaller job should print first?

Comment

Originally posted by matchett@mossbank View Post
        On the second printer i've enabled printer pooling for both ports

I think this may be the problem.
        To pool, create one print queue (logical printer or whatever the jargon is)
        Tick several ports each pointing to identical model physical printers and tick the Pooling box
        Jobs will be sent to first available physical printer

So you should have ONE print queue only visible in the Printers folder

Note, try to keep both physical printers in the same location otherwise it causes alarm among users
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah all of the above is correct.

But you have to keep in mind that the two print devices should not be the same model or type, they should operate on the same driver (Basically the same model).
          Best regards,
          Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sanvour View Post
            Yeah all of the above is correct.

But you have to keep in mind that the two print devices should not be the same model or type, they should operate on the same driver (Basically the same model).
            Not forgetting that a HP LaserJet 5 driver will drive an awful lot of printers to a basic level; so if you have several different printers which are all laserjet 5 compatible then a laserjet 5 driver will suffice.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter
              Not forgetting that a HP LaserJet 5 driver will drive an awful lot of printers to a basic level
              HP Laserjet II can't be beat either.
              11 was a racehorse.
              22 was 12
              1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
              ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Working...
              X