Web Edition, max cpus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Edition, max cpus?

I bought a Sun x4100 server a year or so ago. It came pre-loaded with Web edition. I just added a 2nd cpu to the server. It is showing up in the device manager, but in the task manager it is not. I cannot set the affinity on the process, so it looks like the OS is not supporting the 2nd cpu. Is there a 1 cpu edition of Web Edition?

Re: Web Edition, max cpus?

Odd...
    On SUN's site is stated that it supports only 2003 Standard and Enterprise editions...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

I believe Web edition supports 2 CPUs:
      http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...s/compare.mspx
      But, since you upgraded from 1 CPU to 2, did you update to a multiprocessor HAL? If not, you will not get 2 CPUs detected

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i checked and its running multiprocessor acpi.

Comment

Guys, I have to say that I am getting more and more confused. First thing I did was to check the editions comparison table from Microsoft.
          In Hardware Specifications part it is stated that only 2-way symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) support is supported by Web Edition (in 32bit version. OP doesn't say what OS version it is in use)
          I checked then what does this mean, and found another article, that states that only AMD processors that support 2-way SMP are AMD Athlon MP, Socketed Athlons and Duron. No word about Opteron200, the CPU that comes with the SUN x4100.
          So, the question is: what do I miss here?

Added: well, I found an SMP capable processors list in Wikipedia, but when went further about Opteron, couldn't understand exactly if they are 2-way or more... And no word about Opteron200 model....
          Last edited by sorinso; 8th August 2007, 08:46. Reason: info added...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

It looks like the 200 series is SMP capable. Mine is a 248. Is there any possibility that I might just have a 1 cpu version of web edition? It seems strange that they would recognize both in the device manager and run the multiprocessor kernel though. HMMM

Comment

What OS are you using? 32bit or 64bit?
              Notice that the 32bit version is only 2-way SMP capable (what the heck is that?!?). So, is your CPU OK with that?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

32bit, 2003 Web Edition SP2

there is only two cpu's, so it should work right?

Comment

I have no idea, dude... I'm trying to understand this issue, so far without any luck...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                  X