Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Controller not connecting to the router

Hi to all,
    I'm running a Dell PowerEdge 840 with Windows 2003 Server R2. The server could connect to the internet via our wireless router until I made it a Domain Controller. Now pinging the IP address of the router still works, but when I ping the cable modem, the request times out. The only change I made to the server was to make it a Domain Controller and a DNS Server. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can connect to the cable modem and thus have internet connectivity?
    Thanks in advance,
    Nancy

Re: Domain Controller not connecting to the router

Make sure your DNS setting in the domain controller is pointed to your ISP DNS somewhere.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. However, I figured it out. I had to point the default gateway to the router instead of the cable modem! Everything works just fine now.

Comment

You should never use your ISP DNS server in your internal environment. Your DC should use itself for DNS and so should all your internal machines. When your DC needs to resolve external DNS records it will use the built-in "root hints". If you want you could set it up to use your ISP DNS as forwarders.
        Last edited by joeqwerty; 9th August 2007, 01:15.

Comment

Working...
        X