Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO not effected on User account

pls

what could cause a GPO not to be effected on a user, even after the GPO is 'link enabled', and 'enforced' using group policy management tool.

test: an OU with a single user account

example: to modify the title bar text of internet explorer, the GPO scope shows the gpo as enforced and link enabled as 'yes'; the details tab show the gpo status as enabled; the settings bar show the title bar changed,(under user configuration) etc, yet on logging into the client machine, the title bar isnt changed.

i did a gpupdate on the client and it shows me 'user policy..completed, computer policy completed'.

but still, logging in on the client PC, the internet explorer bar title doesnt change.

Re: GPO not effected on User account

Run gpresult in command line from the user you want it applied on, and see if the policy shows under Applied Policies. If not, you can see the reason (it is usually written in parentheses).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

hi,

doing a 'gpresult' on my client PC gives the following: info: the policy object does not exist.

however, on the DC server, if I were to use the GP modelling wizard to simulate the policy settings for the user-account I created,
      - on the 'summary tab', i can see the GPO applied to the OU where the user belongs,
      -on the 'settings tab', I can see the appropriate change which have taken place to internet explorer -i can see the title bar text as 'hello world', and the winning gpo as my test gpo.

logging into the client, the expected changes did not take place, and after checking the 'gpresult' I still get the msg: info: the policy object does not exist.

pls help

Comment

Next steps:
        - run gpupdate /force. Then gpresult again and see if it's there (all this while you are logged in with the user the policy should be applied on). If not,
        - check EventViewer for any errors regarding GPO processing.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

run rsop.msc and see the resltant set of policy

Comment

@ Sorinso
            ** gpupdate /force and
            result:
            user policy refresh has been completed....
            Computer Policy refresh has been completed.
            Yes im logged in with the user the policy should be applied On.

** gpresult
            result:
            INFO: The policy does not exist.
            I checked event viewer, but didnt see any errors related to GPO processing. In fact, the latest error on the desktop was 3-days ago.

@Dr. Kernel
            ** rsop.msc
            -First, the 'resultant set of policy is being processed's screen:
            Mode ..Logging
            Username...mydomain\userxyz
            display user policy setting...yes
            computername ....mydomain\power
            display computer settings ...yes
            where 'mydomain' is the domain I created for testing, 'userxyz' is the username in AC, and 'power' is the computername.

sometime during the 'processing', I get this prompt:
            "RSOP data is invalid. Likely causes are data is corrupt, data has been deleted or data has never been created"

a Details section says
            "invalid namespace"
            clicking ok, the processing continues until this error prompt:
            Group policy error prompt:
            = thre are other set of policy applications already running with the information you requested. If you proceeed, without exiting these resultant set of policy applications, it may behave incorrectly. (Yes / No)

Comment

What policy are you trying to apply? Is it a user config, or computer config? I have made that mistake several times. If it is a computer config, it will not apply to the user. Never mind, I see you already covered that angle.
              Last edited by foze.bear; 10th August 2007, 17:02.

Comment

did you tried to google any of these error messages ?

and are you sure about DNS setting and time sync ? did you tried to log on with the same user on a different machine ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Kernel View Post
                  and are you sure about DNS setting and time sync ?
                  I think Dr Kernel has put his finger on it: I had the same problem because the preferred (i.e. first) DNS Server of the workstation was incorrectly set. It should be the DC's IP address, (whether it is static or automatically obtained).
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.
                  MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

thanks guys,

Ive resolved the issue. My problem was with the DNS, it wasn't properly done.
                    my GP is working perfectly.

thanks
                    toxie

Comment

I am glad to hear you solved the problem.
                      Thank you for updating the forum.
                      It will be nice if you could specify what the problem was and how you solved it. This way, future users that will encounter the same problem, will be able to check if and solved it the same way.
                      For the next generations, you know...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                      X