Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Server - Running DHCP,DNS,AD - Network Issues

Hi Everybody

Firstly thanks in advance for your help.

I am setting up a Win 2k server for my new business and have come across a small issue with

a) internet connectivity
    b) ping'ing some computers

Network Topology
    Server has two network cards.
    Card 1 - Office network connected to switch and client machines
    Card 2 - Internet connection - connected to broadband router

Description of Problem
    Client machines can connect to the server and logon to the domain
    Server has working internet connection on Card 2.

Client machines cannot connect to the internet, i have tried useing RRAS with no succes and lose all connectivity

Client machines succesfully resolve (through ping) internet web page names to IP but returns request timed out

Client can only ping the office network card and not the internet network card.

Server cannot ping client machine, name resolve to ip okay. When tracing the ping the server tries to find the client throught the internet card, not the office network
    card. If i disable the internet card ping works succesfully.

I am fairly new to setting up servers so I hope i have just made a simple mistake. Any help would be most appreciated. I have attached below the server and nic card settings

Addressing

Office Network
    IP:192.168.2.1
    SN:255.255.255.0
    DG:Blank

Internet
    IP:192.168.2.2
    DG:192.168.2.254

Broadband Router
    IP:192.168.2.254

Server Configuration
    Server has a fresh install of Win 2K Server installed and is running DHCP, DNS and Active directory.

DHCP
    DHCP has one scope set for the office network to assign addresses to the client machines with options set as follows;

scope:192.168.2.200 - 192.168.2.250
    DNS:192.168.2.1
    NS:192.168.2.1 & 192.168.2.2
    Router: 192.168.2.254

Client machines receive their addresses wihthout any problems.

DNS
    Domain Name:eslightinghire.local

Fowarders have been configured for external name servers

Re: Windows 2000 Server - Running DHCP,DNS,AD - Network Issues

Hiya!
    That was a great post, lots of important info well presented. Hopefully I can do it justice with my response.

I believe you've made things more complicated then they need be.

Can I ask, the broadband router is only connected to the RRAS server? If so then change the DHCP configuration to provide the RRAS server's IP as the Default Gateway to your clients in the Office Network.

No matter if the broadband router is only connected to the RRAS server or not it looks like you will have to add a route to the RRAS server to tell it to use the Office Network interface for communicating with all IPs in the range 192.168.2.200-250.

---===Another way of doing it all===--
    Assuming the broadband router is only connected to the RRAS server, to make things easier I'd consider ignoring the above and putting the Office Network and the Internet Networks on seperate subnets. Say give the Office Network the 192.168.1.0/24 range and leave the Internet Network in the 192.168.2.0/24 range. You could do this nps through DHCP, just remember to adjust the IP of the server's Office Network interface. Then also through DHCP give the clients on the Office Network the Default Gateway of the RRAS server.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Hey Thanks for the reply and the comment on the post.

I wil have to be honest and say you have lost me slightly.

I have a feeling that this is down to a routing issue although not sure as to how to solve it.

Just to clarify a couple of queries you had;

1. RRAS and Routing has been disabled.
      2. There is only one server in the network that runs DHCP, DNS and Active directory.

I have narrowed the possible problem down further;

When a Pathping command is sent from the server to the client machine, the server automatically tries to find the client through the internet interface rather than the LAN interface.

Any suggestions on resolving the above would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Comment

You are corerct in that it is a routing problem.

The easiest thing for you to do is get a cheap router and plug that into your network and assign it your gateway address.

Comment

Can you paste route print of server
          Cheers!!
          MCSE 2003,MCSA- Messaging 2003, VCP

Comment

Hi Thanks for the response

Find attached the route print from the server.

Cheers

Simon
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by eslightinghire View Post
              I have attached below the server and nic card settings

Addressing

Office Network
              IP:192.168.2.1
              DG:Blank

Internet
              IP:192.168.2.2
              DG:192.168.2.254
              Here is your problem: the 2 NICS, LAN and the router should be in different subnets; ie the LAN NIC should be 192.168.2.1 and all the LAN machines 192.168.2.x whilst the Internet NIC should be 192.168.1.1 and the router (DG) 192.168.1.254 (eg). Then the server can route all the packets between the two subnets.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi thanks for the pointer

Here is your problem: the 2 NICS, LAN and the router should be in different subnets; ie the LAN NIC should be 192.168.2.1 and all the LAN machines 192.168.2.x whilst the Internet NIC should be 192.168.1.1 and the router (DG) 192.168.1.254 (eg). Then the server can route all the packets between the two subnets
                On trying the above scenario I now lose all internet connectivity and can no longer resolve external dns queries.

Regards

Simon

Comment

In that case you should also adjust the gateway box.
                  The router or something who hadded ipadress 192.168.2.254
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi
                    Originally posted by eslightinghire View Post
                    I wil have to be honest and say you have lost me slightly.
                    Sorry about that, guess I didn't match your post for clarity. I tried at least

--===In the original scenario===--
                    You have/had two problems. The server (192.168.2.1 &192.168.2.2) was sending all packets out the 192.168.2.2 interface as you've seen.
                    So we needed RRAS enabled and we have to configure static routes for the 192.168.2.200-250 range.

Your second problem in the original scenario was that all communication between the client PCs and the Internet has to pass through the server. To do this they have to send their requests to the server (which would have to be using RRAS) so they needed the servers 192.168.2.1 address as their gateway.

--===In Teiger's scenario===--
                    You will have to enable RRAS on the server. Then we have to have static routes in place to route traffic to and from the 192.168.1.0/24 (by putting the /24 at the end I mean all the addresses 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255) network.
                    Btw having two subnets might seem like more work now but it will simplify things in the long run.

--===No matter which scenario===--
                    If the broadband router is only connected to the server then you will have to enable RRAS on the server and explicitly tell it how to route between the two networks.
                    Setting the default gateway on the server to the IP of the router should give you internet access on the server.
                    Then to get your clients online you will have to set their default gateway to the IP address of the servers interface which they are connected to (ie 192.168.2.1 in the original scenario) and you will have to tell the RRAS server how to route between these networks.
                    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
                    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X