Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old PCI Cirrus Logic VGA adapter

Hi,

My on-board VGA adapter died yesterday so I found an old Cirrus Logic PCI (not Express) card in an oldish machine which was working ok, so took it out and installed it in the server. On re-installing Windows Server 2003 R2 it is really sluggish throughout the whole process.

I tried on an identical machine with the Cirrus Logic card with same results.

Can't check the card details right now as I've left it going...

Is there a problem with PCI VGA cards and Windows Server 2003 ?

Thanks/...

Re: Old PCI Cirrus Logic VGA adapter

Have the got the correct and updated driver for the graphics card?

Issues are probably with the graphics card as you've tried it in two different machines and the common piece of hardware is the graphics card. I would try locating the lastest driver before giving up.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It's actually sluggish during the installation - how do I specify a different VGA driver during installation ?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

* Try and find the latest driver from the manufactures website

* Install the card in the server

* Let windows try and detect it when you log back into the server (You might get a really low resolution)

* Windows should locate the new device and prompt you for the driver (Normally a .inf file) If it's downloaded in the form of a .exe just cancel out of the wizard in run the .exe and follow instructions

** Before making any changes always ensure you have a suitable back up stratergy in place **

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X