Adding a second gateway to all workstations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a second gateway to all workstations

My networking guy has asked me to add a second gateway to all workstations on the network (via DHCP) so that they can get access to a second WAN subnet which exists on a second router.

What are the implecations, if any, of adding a second gateway to all workstations?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Adding a second gateway to all workstations

nope, that is not possible.
    Using static routes will work or at routes (which i recommend) on the gateway.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
      Using static routes will work or at routes (which i recommend) on the gateway.
      /agree

Adding routes to the current gateway router so it routes traffice for that second WAN subnet to that second WAN's router is the way to go.
      Also don't forget to add a route on the second WAN's router to route traffic back to your original subnet through the first router.
      If that makes any sense.
      I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
      Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Look, I agree with you guys, and I initially told the network guy that he was crazy. He insists that it will work.

There's one router b/w the two subnets and he states that it has the correct static routes to route traffic b/w them.

What we are experiencing is when we ping from one subnet to a machine in the other, the first ping is lost and the next three are successful. It's only a one way thing as well!
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

Think about the phrase: "Default Gateway". It means, "The gateway the OS will choose if all other gateways are unavailable". Each OS instance can have only one default gateway (regardless of the number of IP addresses/NICs) because otherwise the phrase is meaningless.

In the NIC IP properties you can only configure the DEFAULT gateway; you cannot configure GATEWAYS. Configuring alternate gateways is done by adding static routes. Static routes specify the gateway (router) to be used when accessing a particular IP network.

So - the answer to your question is no, you cannot configure multiple default gateways - that is nonsense. You can configure a single DEFAULT gateway and configure static routes to use another gateway for particular networks.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
            What we are experiencing is when we ping from one subnet to a machine in the other, the first ping is lost and the next three are successful. It's only a one way thing as well!
            That isn't a loss, this has to do with the ARP
            This is not an Issue! You're networkguy should know that.
            You should see when you ping again, you got a 100% success rate.

just look at you're arp table
            ARP -a

you see you're current ARP table.
            Then run ARP -d to flush you're arp table
            Then Ping
            With an other dosbox use ARP -a again to see if any arp entries are added.

And what do you mean with:
            >>>It's only a one way thing as well!
            Last edited by Dumber; 6th August 2007, 19:11.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

you are all dead right... Simply put, on the gateway appliance ( sonicwall, Cisco, Watchguard ) make a routing statement that says something like this

172.16.50.x ---- > 192.168.45.251

the 172 address is the remote or other subnet
              the 192 address is your LAN segment ( Last octet is the gateway IP he wants you to put in the machines )

i do this time and time again. Don't forget to have a statement added on the other side of the network. I am assuming that you are using a Cisco for routing here ?

What he proposed is simply not going to work, he needs to control that with routing, either statically or by using some dynamic routing.. yuk !

Comment

yeah as already mentioned earlier you should have routes both ways...
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                X