Joining A Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining A Domain

I am trying to join my computer to a server that is behind another firewall. When I change the computer name on the client computer, it asks me to login. I do so and then I get the following error:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "cyndigo.net":

the format of the specified network name is invalid.

Re: Joining A Domain

more info!!

what is the computer name first off.... this eror leads meto believe that the netBIOS name provided does not comply with standards. does the name you pick follow the guidlines for DNS and netBIOS?
    • Keep computer names 15 characters or less. If the computer name is longer than 15 characters, NetBIOS applications wonít work. (NetBIOS names are actually 16 characters long. Microsoft Networking reserves the 16th character to designate the type of name.)
    • Donít use underscores; they arenít valid in DNS names. If you use computer names containing underscores, DNS servers based on Unix and other operating systems wonít work properly.
    • Donít use periods inside names. NT assumes that any name with a period is a DNS name and not a NetBIOS name.

do yu have IIS installed on this machine? is it running websites? if so, has the IP for the site changed?
    check the reg key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\HTTP\Pa rameters\ListenOnlyList
    verify that all the IP addresses listed are viable and active. if not, change them to reflect the new IPs

windows give the following explaination of that error message:
    Error Message: The format of the specified network name is invalid.
    Cause: An application requested a network operation, but the format of the network name included in the request was unrecognizable to Windows 2000.
    if those dont check out, then i suggest
    Results 1 - 100 of about 1,740,000 for the format of the specified network name is invalid..
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

My computer name is mobilethrash.

The computer that I'm joining runs Windows XP pro. It is a client computer. There is no IIS installed or websites running. The computer is behind a firewall/router through the DSL company. My servers already allow communciation from the ports from this router's IP address.

Comment

Well you have not mentioned that Which version of Windows server you are using.
        If you are using Windows server 2003 then as per my knowledge you have to open some port in Windows Firewall on your Server(Domain Controller)

check it out

Comment

All ports are open to receive data from my client IP address. That is correct I am using Windows Server 2003

Comment

ok.. i have two suggestions. this, imo, could only be one of two things: DNS and/or ports being closed.

what is the IP configuration of the client computer? is your DHCP server is member of the same domain you are trying to join? if not, verify the client's primary DNS is set to the IP of your DC (your trying to join, and make usre it can reach the DNS IP!). this will ensure you can resolve everything correctly... veryify DNS connectivity with the tool portqry i discuss below.

i will assume you are versed with nslookup. use it and make sure everything resolves correctly. create a host file if you have to. also, do a net diag for kicks.

and the other thought is a resriction on the ports required to join and maintain a connection to a domain. there is a tool that microsoft makes called portqry... here is the link to the page:
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832919

this tool is easy to use and will actually run in a listing state, so you can start it and the go thru the domain joining process and find out which port is being blocked.
            the only reason that i would think that the ports may be blocked is because you have stated that there are two firewalls involved... that means that you have to have a VPN tunnel between the two sites... and if you are using a 3rd party company to provide a VPN tunnel, there is a good possibility that these ports (LDAP (389 UDP and TCP), Microsoft SMB (445 TCP), Kerberos (88 UDP), Endpoint resolution ó portmapper (135 TCP) Net Logon fixed port... and im probably forgeting some) are being blocked. i know of one case where the 445 was being blocked by a vendor... and it created the same exact message you were getting if memory serves correct.

if you could check both of those things, that would be cool. and thats not it, then i give up. youl have to have one of the professionals here assist you.
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I am making sure that all of this ports or open on the server( 389 UDP/TCP, 445 TCP, 88 UDP, 135 TCP). Do I need to make sure that the ports are open for inbound and outbound communcation on both firewalls?

Comment

Why not just create a VPN tunnnel betweeen the 2 routers then join the domain that way??

Opening all those ports on your router is like inviting someone into your network.

Comment

as mentioned we do this with IPSEC site to site VPN's. This works perfetly for us. Remember to point your DNS on the remote side to the DNS server where the domain controller is located.

Comment

Originally posted by rszkutak View Post
                    as mentioned we do this with IPSEC site to site VPN's. This works perfetly for us. Remember to point your DNS on the remote side to the DNS server where the domain controller is located.
                    Ehhh!!!!!

This is the first pst you've posted on this thread.

Comment

It seems to me that you would need DNS (port 53 UDP & TCP) to be open inbound to the DC and have the client use the DC for DNS.

Comment

Working...
                      X