Password Protect Windows Services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Protect Windows Services

Does anyon know of a software or tool which will allow me to setup a password on windows servcies?... I would like to have the password prompted when someone tries to start, stop or restart the service and set the service to diasabel, enable or automatic... The issue is multiple dba's have administrative access to this server and are restarting our replication services...

Re: Password Protect Windows Services

double click the service, and choose log on as , and change it to your user name, and go to regedit HKLM -- System -- CCS -- services and choose your service by right click, choose permissions, and edit there who can do what, you can remove everyone except the username that you inserted there

well, this is the key and is NOT tested in the production, i just invented it while im replying now, this is the most close answer you want at least

Comment

Originally posted by Michael19ave View Post
      Does anyon know of a software or tool which will allow me to setup a password on windows servcies?... I would like to have the password prompted when someone tries to start, stop or restart the service and set the service to diasabel, enable or automatic... The issue is multiple dba's have administrative access to this server and are restarting our replication services...
      I would say that you shouldn't try this but rather address the process and training issue which has them restarting services inappropriately. i.e. in a policy document: "Unauthorised modification of a computer system (including restarting services etc) by anyone will result in disciplinary action being taken, possibly ending in termination."

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I was able to get the permission on the registry to work properly... I will continue to test with others services to verifiy all services will run correctly with the new permissions... Also i wll take the policy approach into consideration as well... I appreciate both response and your time as well...

Thanks

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X