Server 2003 Blue Screening after RAM upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 Blue Screening after RAM upgrade

i got a really strange problem here wonder if anyone can help.

i have a Dell Poweredge SC1420 server running Windows 2003 Server R2 with 2x512MB RAM in it. Server has always run well however it needs a RAM upgrade as it's running exchange 2003 now and a lot more programs than before.

i have tried installing 2x1GB sticks and also 2x2GB (brand new) into the server. the BIOS picks them up and registers them fine, however when windows boots and the first loading screen appears (the one with the black background and the windows logo and a status bar) the bar gets about 75% of the way across the screen then freezes. a few seconds later the server blue screens and the server reboots. the whole process then happens all over again.

The only way i can get the server to boot is to use the original 512MB sticks in it. No matter what combination of the new RAM i use i can't get Windows to not blue screen.

anyone seen a problem like this before? unfortunately i can't read the blue screen error as it flashes up too quickly on the screen. any suggestions how i can get the RAM in this machine upgraded?

many thanks

Re: Server 2003 Blue Screening after RAM upgrade

Hi,
    Originally posted by ryancole View Post
    The only way i can get the server to boot is to use the original 512MB sticks in it. No matter what combination of the new RAM i use i can't get Windows to not blue screen.
    You've tried using Dell's guidelines for organising the RAM?
    From reading it myself I think a good test would be trying the 1Gb pair on their own in slots one and two and also trying the 2Gb pairs in slots one and two.

Have you tried running the Dell Utilities?

If all passes can we try the RAM in another PC/Server? (The utilites are handy but not 100% reliable)
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
    X