Server 2003 tower move

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 tower move

First post here. Looking for some help / options. I've never done this before so here goes. I currently have a old pentium II machine running server 2003 and is a domain controller. We are needing to update to some newer software that won't run with on the current hardware. I'm going to buy a new server this week and need to find out how to migrate ( correct word?? ) everything from the old one to the new one.

Can I simply install Server 2003 onto the new one. Perform a backup on the old one and restore it on the new one? I need to basically move everything just as it is from one machine to the other. Set up the new one just like the old one ip's and all.

I've looked ( google ) for somewhere that had a guide or how to but haven't found anything.

Thanks for your help, ideas, guidance.

Re: Server 2003 tower move

Best thing to do would be to build the new server and then add it to your network under and DCPROMO it to a Domain Controller. That was all Active Directory data will be replicated to the new DC (Give it a few hours to ensure everything has replicated across) You should also make a it a Global Catalgoue (Search the articles on this for what a Global Catalogue is)

Are you planning on keeping the other server a a Domain Controller or removing it ? (It's advised to keep it for redundancy incase one DC goes down the other can pick up the load)

If your not keeping the other DC then you need to transfer the FSMO roles (Once again, search the petri website) and then migrate any data across such as file shares (Google robocopy as this can help you and it keeps all security permissions)

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Michael for the info. No we don't plan on keeping the old DC on the network. It's so outdated it's not funny.

So just add the server as a DC on the same domain right? When I DCPROMO it it'll take the roll of DC and demote the other one automatically??

After getting the server on the network would doing a restore from the backup of the other server work to move all the info, settings, ect.??

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
        So just add the server as a DC on the same domain right?
        Yes

When I DCPROMO it it'll take the roll of DC and demote the other one automatically??
        No, Once you DCPROMO it you will have to make the new DC a GC (search the petri site for how to do this) You will also have to wait for replication to complete and transfere and DHCP scopes. You will also have to transfer the FSMO roles (Once again, search the petri site for the how to article) I would make sure the server is working fine before removing the old server. To remove it simply run DCPROMO again on the old server and follow the wizzard to remove AD

After getting the server on the network would doing a restore from the backup of the other server work to move all the info, settings, ect.??
        This will work for all Data but items like configuring the server as a new GC and transfering the FSMO roles will have to be done manually. All GPO's and DNS settings should be copied across when replicate starts when you first promote it to a DC

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Michael thanks again for the help. I will search for the "how-to's" for doing the GC and FSMO.

I would make sure the server is working fine before removing the old server. To remove it simply run DCPROMO again on the old server and follow the wizzard to remove AD
          Would it hurt to just power down the old server and not do the DCPROMO on it. Just in case something were to fall through a little later with the new one?

Thanks again.

Comment

Michael thanks again for the help. I will search for the "how-to's" for doing the GC and FSMO.

Would it hurt to just power down the old server and not do the DCPROMO on it. Just in case something were to fall through a little later with the new one?

Thanks again.
            YES!
            AD will change (new users, passwords etc) so if you leave the old server off, it would be out of date when you bring it up instead of the new one. If you are going to do this, leave the old server running as another DC, otherwise get rid of it completely. DC Promo will remove it from AD.

Also, are you buying a new license for the new server or re-using the one on the current server -- if so, you are morally obligated to decommission the old server!

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well going to be tackling the switch over this Saturday wish me luck. A question on the replication though. How much can I expect to replicate from the old server to the new one? Users, passwords, privilages, ect??? Also isn't there a command to enter that'll give you a progress of the replication so you're not guessing when it's done. Thanks again for all the information and advice it's been very, very helpful.

Comment

Well going to be tackling the switch over this Saturday wish me luck. A question on the replication though. How much can I expect to replicate from the old server to the new one? Users, passwords, privilages, ect??? Also isn't there a command to enter that'll give you a progress of the replication so you're not guessing when it's done. Thanks again for all the information and advice it's been very, very helpful.
                This information is replicated when the server becomes a DC.

As both are on teh same site it would be wise to leave them replicating changes all the time.

Comment

wullieb1 ... we're going to be removing the old one. This thing is so old you can see the tool marks where the cavemen carved it out of a rock... LOL. But seriously it's ancient and is on it's last leg. We might be adding an additional server at our sales office cross town from here. Might set them up to replicate across our link. Thanks again for the information.

Comment

Well it's not going well. I can't replicate across the network. I had setup the new server with the same name as the old one. Now when I get on the network with the new one it says duplicate name on the network. Nothing is going right. I'm getting hot. I need some guidance.

Comment

I think that the easiest thing to do would be to build a new server with a new name, run dcpromo, make it a global catalog, transfer the fmso roles from the old dc to the new one, and then run dcpromo on the old one to "demote" it. You can force replication from AD Sites and Services and you can check the replication with replmon or dcdiag.

Comment

Joe thanks for the reply. Here is what I've done so far:

Old Server : Done nothing to it still on network still a DC and GC

New Server : Installed Server 2003, Added it to the domain and logged in, Set it a static IP. Ran DCPROMO. Made it a GC then let them sit overnight.

Nothing seemed to transfer except DHCP and DNS looks to be the same as the old one. No users, groups or anything else was migrated.

Question I have is if I make the new on the GC by checking that box do I then have to go to the old one and uncheck it so it's not the GC?

Thanks again for your help guys and gals.

Comment

In a single forest domain (I'm assuming that is the case) there really is no problem with both dc's being gc's so you can make them both gc's. When you open ADUC on the new dc do you see your computers, users, OU's, etc.?

Comment

I had setup the new server with the same name as the old one.
                            You're not allowed to do this. There is no way two computers with the same name will be on the same network!
                            You have to install the new server with its own name, run dcpromo on it to promote it to being a Domain Controller, make it a Global Catalogue, let few hours to pass to be certain all the data was replicated between the two servers and voila!
                            What about the old one? Are you using a new license?

Related articles you should consider reading:
                            - Creating an additional domain controller
                            - Domain controller role: Configuring a domain controller
                            Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                            -

Comment

Ok guys we have progress ( insert heavenly sound here ). Last night we started over and dcpromo'd the new server down again and restarted it to start from scratch. After removing the AD from it I removed the DHCP and DNS totally to start over. I then followed THIS Petri article to the "T". Got it all back up and working.

So now the new server is now part of the AD and it has replicated everything. Woo Hoo!!! We've moved all the files we needed, made new folders and set up security on them. I've made the new server the DHCP server, and the main DNS. Now the old server is still the main DC. I guess I'm at the point where I need to promote the new one to be the main DC right?? Then I can dcpromo the old one and take it off the network.

Let me know if I've done something wrong. Thanks again for your help. Things are looking up now.

Comment

Working...
                              X