Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup for 6 site network

Hi,

Im looking at a new backup solution for the company I currently work for.

We currently have 1 main site and 5 remote sites which all have a 2MB MPLS connection back to the main site.

I need to backup:
    4 remote file servers (Win 2k Adv Server)
    1 exchange server (Win 2k Adv Server)
    1 sql server (Win 2k Adv Server)
    1 local file server (Win 2k Adv Server)
    1 domain controller (Win 2k Adv Server)

Total 300GB data uncompressed

I need to purchase software and hardware and setup a central backup solution at the main site. After onsite and off-site backup has been sorted would like to look at disaster recovery so any software that can do all this would be ideal.

Ive had a look at the following:

Hardware

Looked at online backup, backup to tape but prefer backing up to disc. Currently looking at NAS (keep 1 NAS onsite and 1 NAS offsite) and Idealstor disk backup appliance.

Software
    Symantec Backup Exec 11d In my price range and will setup on test servers

Evault InfoStage - Out of my price range

Idealstor iBac Possible solution, currently getting prices

EMC Retrospect - In my price range and will setup on test servers

Yosmite - In my price range and will setup on test servers

Commvault Currently getting prices

What are people opinions on what the best solution would be?
    What software is best at backing up remote servers?
    Any advice would be welcome.

Also just wanted to say Im a long time reader/browser of the website and it has to be one of the best sites for IT information.

Re: Backup for 6 site network

300 GB total?
    ok split that to 5 you got an average of 60 GB per site.
    That would take a long time to backup over a 2MB line
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by walnuts View Post
      Currently looking at NAS (keep 1 NAS onsite and 1 NAS offsite) ...
      Please don't rely on 1 offsite and 1 onsite. You need to be able to go back in time more than that so have at least 5 (one each workday) or more. Anyway, having 2 NAS means that at some point they'll both be onsite, when you swap them over, then when there's a fire in the building... doesn't bear thinking about. The two most important aspects to your business are (1) the people and (2) the data - don't scrimp on backing up the data!

As Dumber says, you may be backing up a lot of data across the WAN, so a decent solution must be 5 tape drives (why are you not in favour of tapes?) and I suggest Retrospect or Veritas software to do the backups. Make each site back themselves up locally, is my suggestion.

If you really don't like tape, look at the 70GB Rev drives from Iomega. Just a suggestion. But either way, I'm still saying you should backup locally (identical solutions multiplied by 5).
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Hi,

I've nothing against tape but the first thing I did when a consultant suggested get Symantec Backup Exec was go to the Symantec forums and there I found numerous people with write speed issue using tape drives.

I was looking for alternatives to tape. I though of keeping 1 NAS server at site A and another NAS server at site B. Then making sure all data on the first NAS is replicated to the second NAS.

At no time would both NAS server be on the same site and there would always be 3 copies of each backup. 1 live, NAS 1 and NAS 2.

I don't need to backup 300GB of data every night just the changes.

I will take your points on board and thanks for the help.

Comment

I still would say don't do it.
          Backing up only the changes doesn't sounds good to me.
          In case of an emergency you need to restore all prev backups till you're done.
          Correct investment in a backupsolution is critical for a enviroment.

I should go for a tape library solution.

I would go for Veritas NetBackup as the software.

But i'm still worried about the 2mb lines.
          Personally if i was you, i would backup everything locally and not centralized unless you can upgrade the lines to 100mb.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

I agree with Marcel.

Currently my company backs up about 120GB nightly. We use LTO2 tapes and it takes about 4 1/2 hours to run the job. This is after the system was upgraded from a 10/100 card to a 10/100/1000 card. Before the upgrade it was taking about 6 1/2 hours! So before the upgrade to the gig card, the NIC was the bottleneck, not the tape.

If you were to backup that much data over a 2mb link, it would take DAYS to backup!
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

You are correct there is no way we can backup 300GB of data over 2MB lines.

So far I'm heading towards replicating all data to a central NAS server and from their backing it up to tape.

Backing up data at each local site isn't a option due to most staff being useless.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by walnuts View Post

Backing up data at each local site isn't a option due to most staff being useless.
                Then automate it and have backup reports automatically emailed to you so that you can reprimand staff if they fail to change the tape, but either way, don't let the tail wag the dog - your backup is totally important and your staff's lack of skill is compromising the backup strategy. Marcel, Jeremy and I all advise you along similar lines, I think we can say no more - the decision is of course yours but do please overcome staff obstacles rather than let them cause such high risk.

Best of luck to you !
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for your comments and I will take them on-board.

The reason a wanted central backup was IT staff are based at the main site and the other sites are miles away. We were trying to avoid getting office staff to change tapes.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Comment

I'll agree that having staff members change tape is a risk, really IMHO, a security risk since they are holding their hand a nice chunk of data. If not the employee who might misuse it, you have to worry about the people who just keep the tapes stacked some place out in the open.

Really though unless the business owners are willing to go with faster pipes your best solution is to do local backups that are then sent offsite on a rotation schedule.

Though you might be able to pull something off with a constant sync of the file servers and then a backup of that.

Comment

Originally posted by eod View Post
                      I'll agree that having staff members change tape is a risk, really IMHO, a security risk since they are holding their hand a nice chunk of data.
                      Most decent backup packages allow the data on tapes to be encrypted. So this shouldn't be an issue if you implement that security.
                      Originally posted by eod View Post
                      your best solution is to do local backups that are then sent offsite on a rotation schedule.
                      Agreed 100%
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.

Comment

Indeed, the data could be encrypted with most of the backup software solutions.
                        Although using staff isn't the nicest option, it's the best option you got unless you get really higher bandtwidth lines.

Educate the staff members and learn them the importance of the backups. Also check if the tapes are present at 5pm for example. If the tape is missing call the responsible person(s).
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands

Comment

Hi Walnuts.

I am looking to implement backup solution and MPLS solution to one of our client, could you please let me know how these remote sites (5 sites) are connected to the MPLS cloud with a bandwidth of 2Mpbs.

are you saying that each individual site has got different leased line circuit to MPLS cloud with different bandwidth ? and by adding these 5 different bandwidths for all these 5 sites we get 2 Mbps ?

Are all these sites in different locations, which I guess it should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X