Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only seeing 2gb ?

Hi,

Ive just built a Dell 1850 with 4Gb of Ram, 2 Xeon 3.2Gb Processors using Windows 2003 Enterprise and Im only able to see 2gb of Ram in the Preformance tab of the Task Manager. When I go into the bios, Im able to see the full 4gb.

Any ideas?

Re: Only seeing 2gb ?

Any ideas about what?

Do you mean that this is an undesired situation and you don't know how to change it?

If so, add the red bit to your boot.ini and research the /PAE switch on google and Microsoft.

Originally posted by boot.ini
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS ="Microsoft Windows Server 2003" /PAE

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Stonelaughter,

Thanks for the info, Ive made the change you have suggested but its not made any difference to the total memory value which is found on the Performance Tab within Task Manager.

Er, reading on the web I found that the PAE handle only relates to virtual memory and not physical memory.

I'll keep reading and look out for any further advice on this thread.

DW

Comment

Originally posted by daiwhyte View Post
        Stonelaughter,

Thanks for the info, Ive made the change you have suggested but its not made any difference to the total memory value which is found on the Performance Tab within Task Manager.

Er, reading on the web I found that the PAE handle only relates to virtual memory and not physical memory.

I'll keep reading and look out for any further advice on this thread.

DW
        Read again - I think you've misunderstood it. It's called "Physical Address Extensions" so it very definitely refers to physical memory - however it is concerned with the interaction between physical and virtual memory and that interaction is complex. HOWEVER - the OS can address 4Gb of memory without /PAE as opposed to 2Gb so I was incorrect on that score.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Dear I read your question I had a simmilar problem in my server

My Windows server 2003 server shows only 2 gb of ram. on that time I immediately contact vendor and vendor engineer come he changed the setting in the Bios and I think he disable or enable the setting of PAE then my server shows 3 gb of RAM .
          But
          Still it shows only 3 gb not 4 gb so vendor he just change the SATA RAID Controller PCI Slot from 1 to 2 then my problem was solved.

this might help you?
          If i found i will write the bios setting ok

Jogen

Comment

what about the /3gb switch?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...ae443ecbf.aspx
            Last edited by James Haynes; 18th July 2007, 15:45.
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Well, I don't think that the /3GB switch has anything to do it... It only gives more user memory space on the account of kernel memory space ... There's an explanation here:
              - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...n/bootini.mspx
              - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

I wonder how the memory was set. I don't know Dell servers, but on HP you can define specific chips in specific slots as spare memory, that kicks in in case of other chip's failure. Who set the server and how? How many memory chips do you have in those 2GBs? 4x1? 2x2?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Can you post a screen shot of twhat you mean please.

I have a Dell 2950 here with 4GB of ram and it shows on mine ok.

Comment

Also a tip for future reference:

On Dell servers that support "hot-swap" memory you will always see less memory displayed under Windows than is physically installed. This is due to some of the RAM being reserved for "hot-swap". Also, with Windows Server 2003 SP2, PAE is enabled by default without the use of the /PAE switch if the CPU supports the Execute Disable Bit.

Comment

Working...
                  X