• Recover from Hardware Base RAID1

Dear all

I have one Server his Configuration is
    AMD Athelon xp 2500 Dual Processor
    2GB of RAM
    Silicon Image Sil 0680 ATA RAID Controller
    I have 2 SCSI Hard disk (250 GB Each)
    I have created SIngle Partition of 250 GB
    I have also Configured the Hardware RAID1 Disk Mirroring.

Now a few days I have got disk error in the system event that
    The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

my question is what is the solution of this error is and suppose my one hdd fails so how to recover data from RAID1

pl this is urgent

Jogen Joshi (India)

Re: Recover from Hardware Base RAID1

If you have a RAID 1, then you should just be able to replace the drive that is "going to fail" and configure it in your RAID Controller's settings., no data loss. I would personally add a 3rd drive as a hot spare and when it does fail, the other drive will take over, and you can take out the failed drive.

Yea dear thanks I understood
      But now I have only one question what about my boot record in the Boot.ini file ?
      Because Suppse my one hdd fail and Hdd has not come from the vendor so during that period can my computer will be able to boot in one Hdd?

Yes. you can run with only one HD. remember they are EXACT copies of each other. You will, however, have NO redundancy.

That is the joy of RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive or Independent Disks).

Since you are running RAID 1 (Mirroring) your system will function like normal with a failed drive. However, keep in mind that with only 1 Drive in RAID 1 you have NO Redundancy.

Check out this RAID Tutorial at Data Recovery Services Inc. for a basic look Types of RAID and how they work.

In my opinion, RAID 1, 5, 10, and 0+1 are the most common types of RAID.
          Hope this helps.

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.