How to import AD from a domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to import AD from a domain

Hi there.

I have the following situation:

I have a Windows 2000 Server that is the DC. Since the AD on that server is not working well, I decided to setup a brand new domain from the scratch, on new hardware.
    But I would like to import as much information as possible, but still be on the safe side. I would like to import users accounts, policies, etc.
    What should I do?
    I know all of this is possible with trusts, but I don't have a clear idea on where to start. Any recommendations on where to start reading?

If you want to know the exact situation of my servers... here's the thread about it:

Re: How to import AD from a domain

I need to do the samwe. Did you get information on
    how to do the import?

Re: How to import AD from a domain

Check out the Active Directory Migration Toolkit:

Should allow you to migrate from 2000 to 2003 but if you are having issues with AD on your old server you may have issues migrating across. It might be worth trying to fix your currect AD set-up and then keep your existing domain. What are you going to do if it happens again - another domain rebuild? You can't keep doing that everytime

Michael Armstrong
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **