Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk / File activity on a Windows 2003 Server

Hi,

I am wondering what available tools windows 2003 server has to monitor the file / disk activity.

What I need is a tool that will tell me what files are being used, what files are being accessed and what causes the harddrive to be at 100% activity most of the time.

Our server has been having a lot of issues, and I need to know why the server has this much disk activity the last few weeks.

Therefore I need to know if windows 2003 server has some tools available, if so, where can I find them. If not, what tools are the best to monitor this kind of activity?

Kind regards,

Jorge Valencia

Re: Disk / File activity on a Windows 2003 Server

You main tool will probably be task manage to see exactly what processes are running and consuming CPU (Which is then probably consuming Disk Resources).

You'll probably find that some process is consuming 99% of the CPU.

What is the role of the server i.e. DC, Exchange, File Server etc?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

thanks for the reply.

The taskmanager doesn't give me sufficient information about what application is using the disk, or making the disk work at 100%.

Most of the times we have a CPU usage between 7% to 45%

So that's not the issue.
      There is a lot of disk activity (100% nearly all the time) while the CPU remains at about 15%.

The server is mostly being used for exchange. We have our file & data running on a separate server.

Hope you can help me out in some pointers or some tools I can use (besides the taskmanager)

Kind regards,

Jorge Valencia

Comment

Most Likely you have too little memory and an enormous swap file. In any case check out Filemon
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Uhm..

3 GB of mem should be sufficient i think

Also I have a normal swapfile of 4096 MB

So i doubt this is causing issues.

I will have a look at that tool you just provided.
          Thanks for you help

If any other suggestions are available, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Jorge Valencia

Comment

I would like to add this internet address as extra help for other people.

By following the filemon link provided by Lior_S, and reading there, I came accross the following site of microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx

Thanks Lior_S!

Kind regards,

Jorge Valencia

Comment

Indeed, this is Microsoft's now... And no SysAdmin should think of doing his job without these tools...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
              In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -
              «««««

Comment

Working...
              X