No announcement yet.

system state SBS2003 to Windows 2003 Standard

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system state SBS2003 to Windows 2003 Standard

I have a question which is not answered by Google. I have a SBS2003 server but due to problems we have on another subnet a windows 2003 standard server configured. We want to shutdown the SBS server. Is it possible to make a system state of the SBS2003 server and restore that to the windows 2003 standard server. Or does someone have any good thoughts about this. The new windows 2003 server has its own AD, DNS, FSMO roles, Exchange. We now want to shutdown the SBS server so user can use the new Windows 2003 standard as their Domain Controller but with the AD that is on the SBS server.

We tried the transistion pack, but the SBS is on ESX so that didn't work. Can someone give us some advise

Michel Pas
    The Netherlands
    Last edited by michelpas; 11th July 2007, 09:47.

Re: system state SBS2003 to Windows 2003 Standard

Where is the problem? Install a (virtual) server into the SBS domain and run DCPromo. Let it replicate. Remove the server and introduce it to the other subnet. You can then DCPromo the standard server to lose it's current AD, then DCPromo it back in to the SBS domain and you will have the original AD.
    However if you want to merge the two AD's its a different story!

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.