Implementing WSUS and rebooting clients

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implementing WSUS and rebooting clients

We just finished implementing WSUS 3.0 and all our client workstations are now juiced up with the latest updates, however, I just learnt that most of the users never shutdown their workstations- they just leave them running overnight.

Does this mean the Windows updates will never be installed?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Implementing WSUS and rebooting clients

You can either:

a) You can use Group Policy to force a reboot after the patches install. Some users may get annoyed about this depending on when you install updates. Obviously if you have laptops you want to be deploying your updates during the day when you know there on the network. Users are normally prompted to reboot but can ignore this. The message will then keep appearing every X minutes untill the user restarts.

b) Mail everyone to tell them that updates are deployed and they need to reboot their PC (If you decide to use this option then good luck )

c) Export all computer accounts from AD (Except computers that you dont want to reboot, such as servers) and use psshutdown (Use :google to find it) and script it to automatically reboot all pc's in a text file at a specific time. I used to reboot all users PC's at 2am every night so when they came in I knew any patches had been applied and also the user had a fresh reboot every morning (some users pc's had been running for 20+ days and they would often wonder why it was slow)

If you need the script for option c let me know or search the forums as I am sure I've posted it before

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
      We just finished implementing WSUS 3.0 and all our client workstations are now juiced up with the latest updates, however, I just learnt that most of the users never shutdown their workstations- they just leave them running overnight.
      This is an opportunity to earn some brownie points. Work out how much power these machines are using then approach your boss and tell him how much money the company can cut off their power bill by shutting the machines down at night. You could them implement a remote shutdown and force the suckers to turn off.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks Michael, option C is the way to go. I'll do the research and find the script. If I have problems, I'll let you know.

Chris, I'm a big believer of shutting down at night, but most of the PCs in the manufacturing building are older than me and a few can take upto 30 minutes to reboot (that's what I'm told but I need to see this for myself!).
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
          Chris, I'm a big believer of shutting down at night, but most of the PCs in the manufacturing building are older than me and a few can take upto 30 minutes to reboot (that's what I'm told but I need to see this for myself!).
          I would get rid of those 10 year old computers as quick as you can.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            I would get rid of those 10 year old computers as quick as you can.
            Or you can use them to go SBC

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              This is an opportunity to earn some brownie points. Work out how much power these machines are using then approach your boss and tell him how much money the company can cut off their power bill by shutting the machines down at night. You could them implement a remote shutdown and force the suckers to turn off.
              I 2nd that. It's sick how much money you can save.

Comment

Working...
              X