No announcement yet.

Can WSUS and SharePoint Services Coexist?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can WSUS and SharePoint Services Coexist?

Hello gurus,

I installed WSUS 3.0 on a W2K03 Server using default web site and updates were configurable to my domain without a hitch. Then installed SharePoint Services 2.0 on the same box using default parameters and now WSUS is broken. I cannot access the WSUS admin console-in particular, I cannot access the server.

logs indicate that WSUS is COMPLETELY broken.

Is there a compatibility issue installing both services on the same server? Or can I reinstall WSUS?

Re: Can WSUS and SharePoint Services Coexist?

WSUS can use the alternate port 8250. Try changing that in IIS. A default install of both devices uses port 80 and in this case last one on wins. (Why have you used SharePoint 2.0 and not SharePoint 3.0?)

If changing the port doesn't fix it (remember to restart IIS), reinstall WSUS again. I have never installed SharePoint and WSUS on the same server as we have found they really don't like each other. Was less hassles to plonk them onto different hardware. An alterative is to run one of them in a Virtual Server. This is what we will try once approval for the appropriate hardware has been approved.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Greetings Big,

Thanks for the input. You are absolutely right...since both were set up using default parameters, both tried to take over the default web site. And last one out won-in this case SPS. Trying to change port did not do anything, my WSUS console could not even connect to the server. I reinstalled WSUS, first deleting EVERYTHING in ad/remove programs since there seems to be permission issues with old instances of WSUS. Things are progressing quite well now, in the middle of syncing. Only concern now is will the previous WSUS GPO work on this new install...

Re: Can WSUS and SharePoint Services Coexist? feared, XPs aren't being added to new WSUS. They were in previous WSUS before it broke. Will I need to edit the GPO to new port assignment? (http://<server_name>:8350) since port 80 is being taken up by SPS, WSUS auto config'd port to this default alternate.

Edit registry:

net stop wuauserv
        REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Wi ndowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
        REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Wi ndowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
        REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Wi ndowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
        REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Wi ndowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v LastWaitTimeout /f
        REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Wi ndowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v DetectionStartTime /f
        REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Wi ndowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v NextDetectionTime /f
        REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Wi ndowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v AUState /f
        net start wuauserv
        wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow
        Last edited by awnuts; 12th July 2007, 12:08.

I know this is an SBS article, but since SBS is the king of "all-on-one-box" , I thought it may be useful:

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

By adding the new port number in the WSUS GPO (http://<server_name>:8530) then refreshing GP (gpupdate /force) on each box then requesting updates (wuauclt.exe /detectnow) on each box the updates appeared and wsus saw the boxes again.

All except the sole vista box. Now it's telling me that User policy update succeeded BUT Computer policy failed. This was done with NO windows firewalls active on the server and vista. Some insight would be helpful here but I haven't googled this one yet...

Update to my vista problem:

Seems to be talking to the domain quite nicely now. Haven't a clue as the previous hiccup. So far WSUS3.0 and SPS2.0 are co-existing quite nicely.