No announcement yet.

I think DNS Problems

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think DNS Problems

I have searched the net, goggled, searched TechNet and can't find anything for the correct way to set up the DNS IP addresses. I am not sure what IP Address goes where and I am self-taught and this is my first server. ON a PC or client I am good but servers I am lost so a lot of what I read I do not understand the lingo.

I volunteer for a Christian Academy, they asked me to clean up and maintain their computer network. Not a problem until the server failed and no backup. They were using an old HP server with NT and I figured if we had to build a server we'd upgrade to 2000 advanced servers. The old servers were in place for 15 years and never cleaned up and never worked correctly, always problems. So I set up two servers with windows 2000 advanced server.

I can connect to all clients, access files do anything I want except everything is really slow on the severs and accessing the net. On either server if I right click on My Network Connections it takes a long time to open, the internet is the same way, most pages load so slowly that I get a page not displayed error.

I have two servers, both were set up with AD and both are Domain Controllers.

I have the clients set up to point to the servers but I even tried it with no clients connected and just the two servers running. Same results, the system is just plain slow.

I think the problem is that I don't know what IP Addresses go where. I can find what they are for a single DC but not for two domain controllers. AND gateway, is this the ISPs IP Address or the IP Address of the router?

DHCP is not installed, Terminal services and WINS are but again I don't know what the IP addresses are to be used and in what order. The servers are set up "Per Seat".

I uploaded images of the TCP/IP settings I am using, the DNS settings and event log errors. Hopefully this will help you see what I have. Here are the links to download the images.

From the latest event log:
    1. The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a packet from The packet is rejected.

2. The Directory Service received a failure while trying to perform an authenticated RPC call to another Domain Controller. The failure is that the desired Service Principal Name (SPN) is not registered on the target server. The server being contacted is The SPN being used is .
    3. Please verify that the names of the target server and domain are correct. Please also verify that the SPN is registered on the computer account object for the target server on the KDC servicing the request. If the target server has been recently promoted, it will be necessary for knowledge of this computer's identity to replicate to the KDC before this computer can be authenticated.

4. Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed because no DNS servers are available.
    5. This Machine is a PDC of the domain at the root of the forest. Configure to sync from External time source using the net command, 'net time /setsntp:<server name>'.

6. Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects . A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by this policy engine.

If you need anything else that will help I will be more than glad to provide it for you.

Re: I think DNS Problems

I can't get to the files unfortunately.

When the server crashed did you rejoin all the machines to the noew domain??

What have you set your DNS servers to be on the server??

You are correct that the clients should point to the servers but how do you have your servers configured??

Good practice is to point your servers to your internal DNS server, i would imagine this is the same server you are working on. Then what i would do i create a forwarder on your DNS server that points to your ISP's DNS for external name resolution.

Again i can't see the pics due to a firewall issue at work so hopefully the explanation i gave will help.