my problems w/ ntfs permissions, and why i hate them

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my problems w/ ntfs permissions, and why i hate them

i have a DFS share that's mirrored on two servers. now, the permissions/security settings are identical on both shares, as well as the DFS share. unfortunately, for some reason, call it MSFT whim, i cannot execute software that resides on the share using my domain admin account.

oddly, i can access the software when i go through the local drive/directory, but when i try accessing either the DFS share or the network name thing (i forget the exact name, but it's something like \\server1\directory) i can't execute the file.

the permissions for the domain admin accounts are set to "full access" so i'm clueless as to why i can't run these files. even more odd is the fact i can execute the file when running it from the share with a non-domain admin account.

Re: my problems w/ ntfs permissions, and why i hate them

have you tried to copy the file first to a local drive... and then execute it....

maybe you also need to right click it and unlock or unblock.. i don't remember it exactly

Yaniv F
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Comment

Wait, did you check the share permissions. Or is that too obvious to mention?
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
        Wait, did you check the share permissions. Or is that too obvious to mention?
        this is why i said the following:

the permissions for the domain admin accounts are set to "full access" so i'm clueless as to why i can't run these files. even more odd is the fact i can execute the file when running it from the share with a non-domain admin account.
        the permissions are set to full control for the administrator accounts, and yes, the account i'm using is part of this group. i checked the effective permissions, which show that the administrators group have full access.

and for what yaniv asked, i already addressed this:

oddly, i can access the software when i go through the local drive/directory...
        i'm not concerned about executing the file locally. i want to access it through the DFS share.

Comment

I see that you are at a point where you have made up your mind anyway and are not really concerned with the solution. Let us know when you have calmed down a bit, and we can continue.
          When you are ready you can post some screenshots of both the share permissions and the NTFS permissions.

Have a it may help.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

i don't see how my mind is made up and how i'm not interested in a solution. i simply stated that your suggestion was already addressed before you made it.

anyways, as per your request, here are the screenshots.

and if someone is to ask, yes i'm sure that the administrator account i'm using is part of the administrators group.
            Attached Files

Comment

You receive an error message while trying to access ups_software folder. Yet, you published screenshot of NTFS permissions of software folder.
              I think that will help more if you could publish the screenshot of the ups_software folder NTFS permissions. And the Effective Permissions tab.
              What about access to other folders in the same share? cicso, for instance? Can you access it?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
              In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -
              «««««

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                You receive an error message while trying to access ups_software folder. Yet, you published screenshot of NTFS permissions of software folder.
                I think that will help more if you could publish the screenshot of the ups_software folder NTFS permissions. And the Effective Permissions tab.
                What about access to other folders in the same share? cicso, for instance? Can you access it?
                i can give a screen shot of that if you want.

just a little background though. the permissions are inherited from the DFS root directory. what you see here is the same for every subdirectory. the reason why i showed that location is because i have an executable in that location. i wanted everything uniform to better troubleshoot the problem by making things simple.

browsing the various directories isn't a problem. it seems there's no conflict in the "list folder/read data."

heres's another interesting thing. i am able to create, open, edit, rename, and delete text files within this directory structure. i tried it just now with a .txt file in the cisco directory. so, it seems that this is localized to executables. i also tried copying putty.exe over to the cisco directory, which worked. i was also able to rename, and delete the file. again, like the setup.exe file, i was unable to execute the file.

at this point it'd say i am restricted only in execution of the file.

i'm thinking, is there some inherent policy in windows server 2003 that disallows you to execute files on shares?

i've uploaded the jpegs. i apologize for the poor quality on some of the files. let me know if i need to redo them.
                Attached Files

Comment

Although the last pic is hard to understand, I can see from the others that the permissions' issue looks OK.
                  I encountered in the past problems with running executables on Server 2003 shares, and in the end they were related to Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Components).
                  Do you have it installed, by any chance?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                  In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -
                  «««««

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                    Although the last pic is hard to understand, I can see from the others that the permissions' issue looks OK.
                    I encountered in the past problems with running executables on Server 2003 shares, and in the end they were related to Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Components).
                    Do you have it installed, by any chance?
                    nice. i think we're getting somewhere.

i noticed that i do have the "internet explorer enhanced security configuration" installed. i also have the "security configuration wizard" installed. i haven't really done anything in past with either one.

shall i uninstall one or both, or is there a way to configure them to allow for the running of executables?

Comment

Cool !!
                      You might have found something... But to be 100% sure it's the case, IE Security Configuration should be uninstalled.
                      I never encountered any problem with Security Configuration Wizard, so it's harmless from my point of view...
                      Keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                      -
                      «««««

Comment

Good work Sorin; A quick peek in the help file says...
                        The enhanced security configuration also restricts access to scripts, executable files, and other potentially unsafe files on a UNC path unless it is added to the Local Intranet zone explicitly. For example, if you want to access \\server\share\setup.exe, you must add \\server to the Local intranet zone.
                        Honestly I did not know that before now. It would seem that you will not have to remove the enhanced config.
                        Last edited by Lior_S; 9th July 2007, 15:40. Reason: sp

Comment

I had some problems with it in the past, so I never leave it on my servers.
                          I hope we will hear from the OP, that he solved his problem...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                          -
                          «««««

Comment

you're bloody brilliant sorin!

the enhanced permissions were the source of this issue. as you suggested, i removed the component and viola, i can run executables.

who knew this was causing the problem. great troubleshooting.

actually, i wonder if this was also the reason for a problem i had in past that was never able to be resolved.

i enabled folder redirection for mydocs and the desktop for all accounts. but for some reason, i could not open the mydocs file, or run anything on my desktop when logged on to the domain controllers with an admin account. since that was also a share, you think this was the cause of that issue as well?

Comment

I am glad you solved the problem ! The path you went on was the troubleshooting at its best: thinking of possible causes, eliminating one by one, and at the end, as Sherlock Holmes always said: "When you are let with only one option, it must be it, doesn't matter how impossible it might look". The only thing I would do otherwise was the lack of patience in the beginning (please excuse me for allowing myself to give others advices...). You can never solve a problem when you approach it without patience.
                              There is that known saying: "Everything can be done, nothing is impossible." But they forgot the second part of the phrase: "as long as you always remind yourself that nothing comes easy." Well, enough with that.
                              Regarding your other problem, well, I'm not Merlin, you know... Just a plain Vulcan .

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                              -
                              «««««

Comment

Working...
                              X