Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing 2nd processor

Hi all,
    my Windows 2003 system processing speed is getting very slow. Motherboard of system is capable of holding two processor. I am installing more RAM is my system too. While talking with my collegue, he told me if I install 2nd processor in my system i need to run Windows 2003 setup again. I used to think that installing or upgrading processor will not effect system and system will detect additional processor and start working with both of them.
    Any suggestions? What are other people's experience? Am I right or my collegue is right.
    thanks in advance

Re: Installing 2nd processor

Hi, Ahmed.
    Well, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
    When you add a second processor to an already installed Win2003 machine, the OS will need to install support for multiple processors. This is done by updating the HAL.
    This process should be like installing any other component of the OS: you boot the system, it starts the "Hardware Update Wizard" and that's all. It is pretty straight forward.
    That means you both are right, but almost You will need the installation CD, so the OS will get the needed files. From the other hand, Win2003 PnP engine will "feel" the new hardware and will start the wizard automatically. If not, you can always start it manualy, by using "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager.

I myself never dealt with this process, this is what it should happen (based on the theory ).

I'm attaching a screenshot I found on the Net, in guyt's post on another site.
    I would check this Microsoft article too: HAL options after Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 Setup.
    Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:29.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hi sorinso,
      it was good help. By the way my name is ahmer not ahmed
      thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
        By the way my name is ahmer not ahmed
        A thousand apologies !!

And I am glad the info helped.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I would just like to add that you should try and get a CPU with the same stepping code as your exisitng CPU.

I can rememebr doing this a few years back and i was told by an old timer to do it and for some reason it has just stuck in my head.

Comment

Working...
          X