Well I broke my DNS. What now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I broke my DNS. What now?

I set this test server up documenting all the settings and the process. I went and up the server to full 2003. Now when I'm trying to install symantec corporate server, is says I can't connect to that pc.

I ran netdiag /fix and it says my DNS is broken. I get these errors
    **** from netdiag
    Failed - Can not find a primary authorative dns server for the name test.ccctest.lan may not be registered.

Utilities in the DNS management console say there is no server.

I'm not sure why it broke. I didn't change anything that I can think of EXCEPT upgrading the server role to full 2003.

What should I do now? How do I remove the current DNS server and add a new or try to repair this one?
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: Well I broke my DNS. What now?

Just to make sure- you are trying to install symantec anti-virus on a computer that is NOT the DNS server? If that is the case have you verified that this machine is pointing to the correct IP address for DNS? If you are trying to install on the same box that is also the DNS server have you verified that it is pointing to itself for DNS? Check to make sure that the DNS Server and DNS client services are started.
    Justin
    A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Let me clarify the message;

DNS test Failed
      [warning} cannot fain a primary authoritative DNS server for the name 'test.ccctest.lan' may not be registered in DNS. The name xxxx may not be registered in DNS.
      [FATAL] Failed to fix: DC DNS entry xxx re-registeration on DNS server 127.0.0.1 failed.

I get a repeated DNS_ERROR_RDOCE_SERVER_FAILURE

This might be because of installing symantec, but that isn't the problem. My DNS server is broken.

It was pointing to itself. I was installing the symantec corporate server on this server (just like our current server is configured.) Previously everything worked just fine. It would resolve names etc.
      Last edited by crobertson; 6th July 2007, 20:49.
      I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
      Chris Robertson
      The Computer Doctor

Comment

crobertson,

Can you give us a more detailed layout of what you're dealing with and the environment you have. I.e. let us know what servers you are running and what functions they serve.

Right now we are not sure what you mean when you say, "this server."

Give us some more details.
        CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

Well I upped the server to full 2003, so you know my server is a 2003, on an old gateway server and I only have about 25+ xp pcs.
          Chris Robertson
          The Computer Doctor

Comment

Working...
          X