Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharepoint Data Limit

Hi all,

We have sharepoint setup with the 4GB database limit. Just a question that i cant find any answers to! What happens when you hit the 4GB limit?

Does it stop functioning? Does it Create a new database? Does it overwrite previous entries?

I'd really love to know the answer to this as i have a few clients that are slowing creeping towards the 4GB

TIA

Matty

Re: Sharepoint Data Limit

This might be worth a read however from the quick read I have had, this is when using full blown SQL and not the Desktop Engine. http://blogs.msdn.com/joelo/archive/...19/671789.aspx
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Pulsen View Post
      Hi all,

We have sharepoint setup with the 4GB database limit. Just a question that i cant find any answers to! What happens when you hit the 4GB limit?

Does it stop functioning? Does it Create a new database? Does it overwrite previous entries?

I'd really love to know the answer to this as i have a few clients that are slowing creeping towards the 4GB

TIA

Matty
      As I understand it, this is a limit on MSDE (or whatever they call it these days). Never having run MSDE past a standalone setup many lives ago, I cannot tell you exactly what will happen HOWEVER given the only way M$ could get their "toy" SQL Server database to sell was force you to buy it by first hooking you on SharePoint (files should be stored in a file system, not BLOBs in a DB -- period!!!) and limiting you to several GB. I'm guessing a hard DB error will occur when you try to expand 1 byte past that limit. You'll hit that limit soon enough. SharePoint is a wonderful product so I'd get the budget set for a bona fide SQL Server license.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
        As I understand it, this is a limit on MSDE (or whatever they call it these days). Never having run MSDE past a standalone setup many lives ago, I cannot tell you exactly what will happen HOWEVER given the only way M$ could get their "toy" SQL Server database to sell was force you to buy it by first hooking you on SharePoint (files should be stored in a file system, not BLOBs in a DB -- period!!!) and limiting you to several GB. I'm guessing a hard DB error will occur when you try to expand 1 byte past that limit. You'll hit that limit soon enough. SharePoint is a wonderful product so I'd get the budget set for a bona fide SQL Server license.
        I thought the limit for MSDE was 2GB.

I could be wrong though.

Runs away and double checks

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post

I could be wrong though.

Ahh i thought i was going mad

Upsize MSDE 2000 to SQL Server
          Applications may grow beyond the MSDE 2000 2-GB data limit or the application's user base may grow beyond the workload limitation in SQL Server Desktop Engine. If this occurs, Microsoft recommends migrating the MSDE 2000 solution to a SQL Server based solution. SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) can be upgraded to SQL Server 2000 Personal and Standard Editions. For information on migrating from MSDE 2000 and upgrading to SQL Server, please refer to:

Q325023 Upsizing SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) to SQL Server

Q322620 How to Upgrade SQL Server 6.5 and 7.0 to SQL Server 2000

from here

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms811304.aspx

Comment

I could be wrong though.

I thought it was too thus I avoided stating a size. 2 GB / 4 GB -- the OP will pass that soon enough w/ SharePoint
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

So what happens when you hit the MSDE limit? and can you upgrade to full blown SQL easily?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulsen View Post
                So what happens when you hit the MSDE limit? and can you upgrade to full blown SQL easily?

It should be easy enough.

Actually here is a weee document straight from MS that decribes exactly what you want.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837848

Comment

It should be easy enough.

Actually here is a weee document straight from MS that decribes exactly what you want.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837848
                  Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X