Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTP in Windows 2003 server ent.

Hello.
    I use in some project 2 servers in cluster (configured in domain controllers).
    I have 10 clients connected to the cluster:
    5 - Windows XP based, and 5 Windows xp Embedded based.
    I want to sync all this clients to the TIME of the server (node 1, or node 2. I suppose if I'll shange time in one node, the other will change olso, doesn't it?)

I affraid to make a mistake in some configuration, and to fall down the servers. I'm new in this job.

If some one can help, I'll glad to receive some support.
    Thank you.

Re: NTP in Windows 2003 server ent.

Fortunately this is standard.

Create a batch logon or startup script including the line:
    net time \\timesrv /set /yes

where timesrv is the name of your server

Roll it out through a GPO and all clients will synchronise at logon or startup

For more info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314090
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm sorry for may be a stupid questions but -

In the BATCH file I need to write only this line or any additional lines?
      Server name - is the name of the claster, like test-test.local? or - fisical server name like NODE1 or NODE2?
      Is the same procedure needs to be done in Windows XP EMBEDDED?
      And like I can understand all this will sync the time only in login procedure, but how can I sync the time continuously? I mean, every time I change the time on one of nodes - it will change the time on all clients-is it posible?

and how to "Roll it out through a GPO"?

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Demon,

Your batch file does not have to contain anything else, but very often they have NET USE commands for mapping drives

Server name is the netbios name e.g \\server, not \\server.domain.local

Not sure about XP Embedded but someone here will be able to help you

To "roll out through a GPO", you will need to go to Group Policy Management Console and create a new Group Policy Object (or edit an existing one).
        If you are using logon scripts, go to USER CONFIGURATION-->WINDOWS SETTINGS-->SCRIPTS-->LOGON
        If you are using startup scripts, go to COMPUTER CONFIGURATION-->WINDOWS SETTINGS-->SCRIPTS-->STARTUP
        Either way, double click, select SHOW FILES, copy in your script (CMD or BAT file), then on the Properties window, click ADD and find your script file

I'm not sure what you mean by sync the time continuously -- this will do it every time the computer is started or every time a user logs on. If you need more frequently than that, you will need to run a scheduled job on each PC

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X