Migrating away from NT4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating away from NT4

I have read posts all day, you guys are very talented and your advice is useful, so I wanted to get some opinions.....

Ok this is the situation, I started this job 4 weeks ago and am working on undoing the ills of the old admin who was very lazy.

This isnt going to be an overnight fix, I own ghost 8, 9 and 2003, usb, ide and nas HD's to image to and I want to test as much as possible before going live....

First a look at what I'm dealing with;

Network Environment:
    Cisco 1700 provides dhcp and resolves DNS to ISP, switches, hubs galore

Server Environment:
    WINNT 4 Server PDC = 2x 450mhz, 512mb RAM with scary low disk space
    PDC does not use wins or dns
    WINNT 4 Server BDC = P3 933, 256mb RAM that was an old dell precison once
    BDC isnt doing anything except replicating
    WIN2K Member server runs terminal services, and mdaemon
    WIN2K3 Member server runs sqlbase and storage for users

Workstation Environment:
    98,2000 and xp (no linux,nt workstation, 95 or vista) mostly 2000
    82-100 users

So this is what I was thinking.....
    1.) Buy a new server which I can find NT 4 drivers for...load nt4 server,make it a bdc, promote it to pdc, upgrade to win2k, install AD, get dns going, run dhcp from firewall and point dns back to DC and then in time upgrade to 2k3 server

or

2.) buy a new server with 2003 already on it, create a separate subnet, create a 2way trust between domains, move things over gradually and phase the old domain out in time

what do you think?

I dont need to do this today, but soon

Re: Migrating away from NT4

I am going to have no luck building a new server and getting nt4 on it

so

i was thinking find something that will run nt4, making that pdc, upgrading to 2000 and then

add a new 2k3 server and making that dc.....

Comment

Excellent first post, very good, appropriate information and nicely set out. :bigthumbsup:

In reply to your second post, sounds like an excellent plan. Don't forget when you add the 2003 server/DC, ADPREP is on Disk 2 of Windows Server 2003 R2 disks.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by aja75 View Post
        I

2.) buy a new server with 2003 already on it, create a separate subnet, create a 2way trust between domains, move things over gradually and phase the old domain out in time
        This is what I did on 2003 when migrated from nt4 to w2k,
        slowly moving to w2k servers and dissolving nt4

and later on from w2k to w3k was just piece of cake.

Comment

More specifically, I would build a BDC in a VirtualPC whilst connected to the network. I would then take it off-line and promote to BDC; upgrade to Win2K DC. Test this DC (and it will need DNS, so add DHCP and prepare to strip it off the Cisco); when satisfied it functions correctly, you could take your NT PDC off-line and test your VPC Win2K DC.
          If all is OK, you can then continue with your 2K environment, install a new (physical) 2K DC, which should then grab the FSMO roles. Now just continue to upgrade to 2K3
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X