folder redirection redundancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• folder redirection redundancy

i have 2 servers (win2k3 enterprise, and win23k standard - both are non RC2 versions) that i've set up as my home domain servers. they are there really as a learning tool. having said that, my experience is somewhat limited.

i'm trying to setup redundant folder redirection.

i've established a DFS root (i think that's what it's called) between the two servers that mirror what's the contents of a "common" folder.

i've also established folder redirection for the desktop and mydocs that points to certain folders on one of the DC's.

recently there was an issue with the DC that houses the folder redirection folders that disabled the functionality of the folder redirection. as a result, i want a sort of fault tolerance for folder redirection.

unless my understanding of DFS is wrong, i thought the DFS root would be a central repository that is identified on its own, independent of any individual server. if this is the case, i'd like to direct folder redirection to this repository so that a redundancy is made.

is what i want possible? if i can be done, how can it be done?

Re: folder redirection redundancy

hi,

U can use the DFS to redirect the Documents to a Central Folder, but how u gonna distinguish this documents is belong to which user?

In my opinion is better to create a Cluster OS, have the Cluster Servers use a Common Data Drive for both servers, then in that folder create ur Root Folder called Documents / Users / %Username%.

When u create the GPO to redirect the My Documents to the Root Documents, then all the user's Folder will be created in that folder and thier Documents will be pointing to the correct location.

Note: Make sure you are sharing the folder and setting the permissions correctely like the Creator Owner has full Permssion, the rest as read only or no need for permission, otherwise all the users can access this folder and read what inside that folder.
    ================================
    HND: Higher National Diploma in
    Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
    MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
    Done:VMware DSA
    ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

thanks for the reply.

U can use the DFS to redirect the Documents to a Central Folder, but how u gonna distinguish this documents is belong to which user?
      this is handled automatically. by default the folder redirection policy redirects to %username%\desktop, %username%\mydocs whatever - at least it does in my case.

In my opinion is better to create a Cluster OS, have the Cluster Servers use a Common Data Drive for both servers, then in that folder create ur Root Folder called Documents / Users / %Username%.
      i completely agree with you. personally, this is what i'd like to do. unfortunately, clustering is only part of win2k3 enterprise and not the standard version. i don't have disposable funds at the moment to invest in something that will give me true server fault tolerance for a lab setup.

When u create the GPO to redirect the My Documents to the Root Documents, then all the user's Folder will be created in that folder and thier Documents will be pointing to the correct location.
      that's what i sort of did with DFS. i think i might have found a solution. i'll need to test it by taking down one server at a time to see it it works.

i redirected to the DFS root. from the properties of the share, it seems like the DFS root isn't associated to any particular server. so instead of pointing to "\\DC1\domain repository\common files," i'm pointing to the DFS root of "\\domain repository\common files."

it allowed for me to do so, but again, i need to disable the DC that houses the DFS root to see if this actually gives me fault tolerance.

Note: Make sure you are sharing the folder and setting the permissions correctely like the Creator Owner has full Permssion, the rest as read only or no need for permission, otherwise all the users can access this folder and read what inside that folder.
      thanks for this info. i am actually concerned about limiting access exactly in this way. i guess it's time to read up on permissions and policies to figure out how to exactly get this done.

BTW. i was in bahrain last winter. did they finish the towers with the windmills yet?

Comment

Originally posted by xyyz View Post
        thanks for the reply.

BTW. i was in bahrain last winter. did they finish the towers with the windmills yet?

Not yet! Hope it will be soooon.

ALl the best of luck for u m8, if u need any further help please don't hesitate to ask.

BR,
        Habibalby
        ================================
        HND: Higher National Diploma in
        Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
        MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
        Done:VMware DSA
        ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
        X