Problems with Secondary DNS install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Secondary DNS install

I just added a secondary domain controller.

I now wanted to install a secondary DNS server on it too.

I added DNS via add/remove programs..but when i went to configure a new zone, it wouldn't let me as there were already zones in the DNS (which were somehow replicated from the primary DNS server).

However, when I click on the server icon in the DNS mmc on the secondary domain controller, it says that "This DNS server has not been configured"...i right click and try and add a secondary zone, and then after it says that it can't be created because it already exists.

I was going to delete the forward lookup zones and reverse lookup zones in the mmc, but i am worried that it will in fact delete them from the Primary DNS.

So my query is 1. how do i delete the zones which got there by themselves, and then 2. how do i make this into a secondary DNS server??

the secondary DC has its TCP/IP properties set with the DNS pointing to the primary DNS server.

any ideas will be appreciated. thanks
    Last edited by dublin_101; 28th June 2007, 08:24.

Re: Problems with Secondary DNS install

1) Do you get all the data from your primary DNS server? If so then try to add new data in primary DNS and check it properly replicates to the secondary DNS.

The things come automatically if you put the IP of your secondary DNS to the primary DNS to allow "zone transfer".

Comment

Originally posted by arijit8017 View Post
      1) Do you get all the data from your primary DNS server? If so then try to add new data in primary DNS and check it properly replicates to the secondary DNS.

The things come automatically if you put the IP of your secondary DNS to the primary DNS to allow "zone transfer".
      if i had a host to the PRIMARY DNS, it won't refresh on the other one...but if i click 'reload' it will.

i'm very confused now, but i figure its to do with being a DC also.

all the tutorials i had on adding a secondary dns server seem to be on standalone server, and not on secondary dcs.

Comment

Hi,

U need to create another Zone as a Secondary on the Secondary DC which is running the DNS? This DNS /DC server is a part of the same domain and offcourse this server acting as an Additional Domain Controller for the same domain, correct me if i'm wrong!

Since both servers are part of the same domain, its better to create your Secondary Zone on the Primary Server and get it replicate to the Secondary Server.

Hope it helps.

BR,
        Habibalby
        ================================
        HND: Higher National Diploma in
        Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
        MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
        Done:VMware DSA
        ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by habibalby View Post
          Hi,

U need to create another Zone as a Secondary on the Secondary DC which is running the DNS? This DNS /DC server is a part of the same domain and offcourse this server acting as an Additional Domain Controller for the same domain, correct me if i'm wrong!

Since both servers are part of the same domain, its better to create your Secondary Zone on the Primary Server and get it replicate to the Secondary Server.

Hope it helps.

BR,
          Habibalby
          i think i confused myself.

i'll start from scratch...we have 1 DC at work, it is also a DNS server. I wanted to have redundacy on our network so I decided that I wanted to have a Secondary domain controller and also DNS.

Now, I think that the big difference here is AD integrated zones..right? So when I installed the secondary DC, and then the DNS...it automatically had the zone set up.............right?

if so, this will mean that in fact i do not need a secondary zone at all.....if wrong, correct me please?

and i am hoping now that they will replicate DNS info if needed,,,,,,,,,,,,,and if eg DC1 goes down, that the secondary DC will be able to take care of everything .

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dublin_101 View Post
            i think i confused myself.

i'll start from scratch...we have 1 DC at work, it is also a DNS server. I wanted to have redundacy on our network so I decided that I wanted to have a Secondary domain controller and also DNS.

if so, this will mean that in fact i do not need a secondary zone at all.....if wrong, correct me please?

and i am hoping now that they will replicate DNS info if needed,,,,,,,,,,,,,and if eg DC1 goes down, that the secondary DC will be able to take care of everything .

thanks
            You dont need a secondary zone for the same Domain.
            YEs they will replicate each other

Comment

Working...
            X