No announcement yet.

Suggestions for DHCP failover solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for DHCP failover solution?

We are currently looking at making our DHCP fault tolerant. We don't have many users and are not concerned with overloading a system.

Right now DHCP, DNS, and Active Directory run on our only DC, we'll call it NS1. Don't worry we will be adding another DC and installing DNS on it as well, creatively called NS2.

We're looking at a couple solutions if NS1 fails. Obviously with a second DC setup running DNS and a GC AD will be fine. But we would still loose our DHCP server. What if we set up a DHCP server on NS2 with the exact same settings and scopes as are on NS1 and simply disable the DHCP service? If NS1 dies all we should have to do is enable the DHCP service on NS2 and it would take over.

How does this sound as a failover plan for DHCP?

-Bill
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Re: Suggestions for DHCP failover solution?

Bill,

How about splitting the subnet up into 2 chunks and having each DHCP Server handle a different piece?

(Below is from Windows Dev Center)
    Server 1
    Scope 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.250
    Exclusion 10.0.0.126 to 10.0.0.250
    Server 2
    Scope 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.250
    Exclusion 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.125

But you can also simply configure the scopes separately as:

Server 1 scope 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.125
    Server 2 scope 10.0.0.126 to 10.0.0.250

Just don't let the scopes overlap when you configure them.

I would also check out this Post, it talks about the same issue but looking for a Non-Exclustion Solution.

Hope this helps.

Nate
    Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I can see I need to do a bit more research on the subject.

We're either going to do something like exclusion or just make sure we have good backups of our DHCP server. We'll probably be moving it off our first DC when we get the second one up and running anyway.

Comment

Let me show you scenario :
        I have 2 dhcp servers with different scopes configured on it.
        in the first one : from 10.x.1.x - 10.x.10.x
        in the second : from 10.x.11.x - 10.x.20.x

or you can do as you suggested also,
        like create the same scopes in the other server bur leave them disabled until you have problem with first DHCP.
        Don't forget to have regular backup of the dhcp database, actually is better to save complete folder : C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp
        Lat time when I had problems with DHCP the regualr backup/restore did not worked out , so I used copy paste that folder which I kept it in some other location.

Comment

we're goign to have two dhcp servers with separate scopes setup.

With less than 100 machines neededing an address we won't run into problems.

This way there is no intervention on our part to keep things goign. If one of the servers dies the other will take over renewing leases.

seems the most straightforward solution.

Comment

Working...
          X