Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .Net Frame work

Hi,
    I am wondering what is the function of .Net Frame work. I have .Net frame work version 1 installed in Win2003 server. Yesterday, when I was upgrading my SUS with WSUS. The WSUS setup demanded my to install latest verion of .Net Frame work. I found that .Net frame work could be installed from Application server in ADD/Remove Windows componant from Control pannel. But I do not know how to upgrade it. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    Regards

Re: .Net Frame work

.NET Framework is the support software needed to run software developed in Visual Studio .NET on your machine.

There are 5 versions of .NET Framework that correspond to the different releases of Visual Studio .NET:

1.0 for original Visual Studio .NET (circa 2000)
    1.1 for Visual Studio .NET 2003
    2.0 for Visual Studio .NET 2005
    3.0 for Visual Studio .NET 2005 (was WinFX = 2.0 + a bunch of stuff)
    3.5 for Visual Studio .NET (Orcas - next version)

There is no "upgrading" per se. You can (and will) have more than 1 version of the framework out there depending on what each dependent piece of software requires (what version of VS .NET was used to develop that software).

Not much requires 1.0 anymore but 1.1 and 2.0 are standard installs on most machines these days and 3.0 is becoming more prevalent.

Don't know what version comes w/ your Add/Remove bit but if it is not the correct one for WSUS, you can easily find the downloads in Google or by searching Microsoft's site directly.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Re: .Net Frame work

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
      ...Don't know what version comes w/ your Add/Remove bit but if it is not the correct one for WSUS, you can easily find the downloads in Google or by searching Microsoft's site directly.
      Windows 2003 comes bundled with version 1.1 of the .net framework. There have been patches to it including a service pack. WSUS needs the framework for use with ASP.NET, which powers the webclient for it [update requests are directed to it instead of MS's WindowsUpdate]. The code behind the ASP.NET pages are essentially an application.
      Last edited by ahinson; 27th June 2007, 14:52.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X