Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder will not retain attributes

Hello all!
    I have searched the site and was unable to find another forum on this topic, if this is a double post I am sorry. I have a Windows Server 2003 box that is in a domain that will not keep settings I apply to it. The setting that will not stay is removing the "read only" attribute. All other settings will remain in place once applied.

I have checked the permissions and my user account has full control of the folder and is the owner of the folder. I tried removing the read only using the attrib command from the command prompt. I have also tried this Microsoft article. I would greatly appreciate any help someone can offer on this. Thanks in advance
    Justin
    A+ Net+ MCP

Re: Folder will not retain attributes

You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders

SYMPTOMS
    You may experience any of the following symptoms: You cannot view or change the Read-only or System attributes of a folder by using the Properties dialog box for the folder. For example, you may experience the following symptoms: When you view the General tab of a folder's Properties dialog box, the Read-only check box is not available, and there is no check box to change the System attribute.
    You click to clear or click to select the Read-only check box on the General tab of a folder's Properties dialog box. When you click OK or Apply, you receive the following message:
    Confirm Attribute Changes
    You have chosen to make the following attribute changes:
    unset read-only
    Do you want to apply this change to this folder only, or do you want to apply it to all subfolders and files as well?
    If you click Apply changes to this folder only, the Read-only attribute is changed for all the files in the folder, but the Read-only attribute is not changed for the folder, its subfolders, or any files in its subfolders. If you click Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files, the Read-only attribute is changed for all files in the folder and all files in the subfolders, but the Read-only attribute is not changed for the folder or its subfolders.

Some programs may display error messages when you try to save files to a folder with the Read-only or System attribute. As a result, these programs may not be able to save files to the folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: Folder will not retain attributes

Hi,
      I have tried that already as stated in my first post. Thanks for the reply though! Any other idea's?
      Justin
      A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Working...
      X