No announcement yet.

server2003 - help with file permissions for shared folder

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server2003 - help with file permissions for shared folder

Our office server runs on Windows Server 2003, and we have a simple shared folder setup, where all employees can access/modify/create/delete files. Today, I've copied this shared folder to a new (larger) hard drive since we were running out of space. I've shared this new folder with the same share name, instead of the old one, and gave everyone "full control" permissions, however there is a huge problem!

When I'm trying to connect from another computer, and delete or modify a file, it invariably gives an "access is denied" error! Even though that user name has "full control" permissions for the entire folder. The only way I can delete/modify a file, is if I've just created that file by myself.

Before I made and shared the copy on the new drive, everyone could delete/modify all files on the shared folder. This is the situation I need to bring back. Stupidly enough, before I unshared the old folder and shared the new one, I didn't make sure to take note of how permissions were set up.

Note: I've tried giving the full control permissions to "EVERYONE", and also separately for each user name which connects to the server. Both of the above did not work.

Any help would be massively appreciated, as I'm a newbie when it comes to Windows Server 2003.... someone else had set it up originally and that person cannot help me at the moment.

Re: server2003 - help with file permissions for shared folder

The Full Control permission, does that refer to the SHARE permissions or the NTFS permissions? Default SHARE permission is Everyone, Read Only so you may need to change that to Full Control. It is not a good idea to give Full Control on NTFS permissions. Modify is a much better selection. Users then can't change the permissions on that file/folder as they can with Full Control set.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Sorry for not clarifying - I am referring to share permissions (the ones that are set from the "sharing" dialog box of the folder properties, hope I'm not completely off track here). I set "full control" for all users there and the problem still persists.

Do I need to change anything in the "security" tab, perhaps? give "full control" to everyone there too?

[EDIT] nevermind - I've managed to solve this by setting "security" permissions to "full control" as well. Thanks anyway.
      Last edited by intersilver; 23rd June 2007, 23:31. Reason: problem solved!

I know its been solved, but FC for everyone is not the best idea....

In general, "security" and "share" permissions work on the basis that a user gets (depending on group membership)
        Best possible combination of security permissions
        Best possible combination of share permissions
        Worst of the above

So if, for example, share permissions are "Change" and "Read", a user in both groups gets "Change".
        If the NTFS (security) permissions are "Read" and "Write", a user in both groups gets Read/Write.
        Their final effective permission is the worst, so Read/Write (doesnt allow deletion)

Also avoid givinf full control as this allows the user to change permissions. Much better to stop non-administrators at "change" or "modify" which will let them do anything except change permissions further.

Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **