Upgrading to SBS because of CRM deployment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to SBS because of CRM deployment

I am currently running Microsoft Server 2003 with SQL 2005, Exchange Server 2003, ISA 2004 and SharePoint 2003 on one system/server/box.

I am Looking to deploy Microsoft CRM 3.0. Reading the deployment guide, I tells me that I have to upgrade to Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 Premium. What is the different between Microsoft Server 2003 and SBS? Why do I need to upgrade If I already have all the software needed?

Re: Upgrading to SBS because of CRM deployment

I don't know about CRM specifically, but I do know that SBS is a less scalable OS than Windows Server 2003 and is suited better to small environments where only a few servers are required and most of the services run on one box. If you already have Active Directory running on Windows Server 2003, then to install SBS instead would be a retrograde step and would probably cause issues. Is CRM a product specifically designed for SBS? If so then it probably won't enjoy the Windows Server 2003 environment at all...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

There are two version, a CRM Professional Server version and a CRM Small Business Edition. The version you might want to be considering is the 'Professional Server'.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

I do have access to CRM Professional. From what I am told, Microsoft does not recommend that you have all the service on the same server. Service being SQL Server, Exchange Server, and CRM Professional on the same server.

Comment

I recall that you could not have SQL and Exchange on the same box but that one or the other would work. What Microsoft wants is a separate server for everything, DC, SQL, CRM and Exchange.

Comment

Sorry for my Ignorance. Microsoft does not like that setup or it will not work.

My current setup works great and It has SQL and Exchange on the same server.

Comment

Originally posted by joes4tune View Post
              Sorry for my Ignorance. Microsoft does not like that setup or it will not work.

My current setup works great and It has SQL and Exchange on the same server.
              I meant CRM on the same box with SQL and Exchange. Your setup works good, but no CRM

You are correct about Microsoft's recommendations.

Comment

Working...
              X