Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• service in win cluster

Hello, friends.
    A couple of days before I'm started to use server in my work project. so this mean that I'm a little bit new in this "server world".
    I have a question:
    my system contains 2 HP proliant servers (active-passive) in cluster. + windows 2003 server enterprise R2
    all this connected to HP storage.
    I have some service to run on this servers (my service, not window's). I installed it on "server1", and enabled it.
    After "falling down of SRV1 I expected from service continue working, but now in server2. and it's not happening.
    Is this a problem of my service (possibility to work in cluster), or something else?

Thank you

Re: service in win cluster

You need to install the service on each machine (to get the registry bits set) and put into a manual / stopped state then add it as a resource to an approriate cluster group and start it.

Now the service should stop on the previous owner (master) node then start on the new owner node whenever a failover occurs.

Where are the executable bits for the service? On a local drive or on a cluster shared drive? I have found in my many years w/ W2K clustering (don't have a W2K3 clustered setup as of yet) that it is easiest / best / imperative to have all the executable bits on local drives and only put data on the cluster shared ones.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
      You need to install the service on each machine (to get the registry bits set) and put into a manual / stopped state
      - DONE
      then add it as a resource to an approriate cluster group and start it. .
      What I need to do in order to add service to a resoursce of cluster? I'm new in SERVER OS's.

Where are the executable bits for the service?.
      All exe files are in each node in C:\ (local drive).

Comment

service in win cluster

OK - the problem is solved.
        But here some new question: All that was done - help to solve problem with managing of service when one of the servers is down.
        But what happened if failure in service occures?
        Is cluster "know" to restart this service? Or there are some additional configuration needed for this?

Comment

If you did the appropriate recipe to make this service a cluster resource and added it to a resource group then all should be fine. The resource is just a fancy wrapper that polls the service and makes sure it is up.

Manually stop the service (you may need to use SC.EXE or kill the process if the Services dialog knows this is a cluster resource) and test the failover detection OR hit the power switch on the active box (arghhh).

If it's not failing over, you'll probably need to send some screen shots of your configuration.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X