RIS image halting, with error message about txtsetup.sif

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIS image halting, with error message about txtsetup.sif

dear all, i have for the last week been setting up RIS from a 2003 server with all the latest updates on.

I have setup the basic build from a cd image that has xpsp2 slipstreamed onto it, and i can happily build a basic machine from that, including having added broadcomm drivers so that my hpdc5750's will build from it.

i have had some old nec's and as a practice i have ripreped an image from them up to the server and sucessfully built a number of them.

in the next couple of weeks i hope to be building 60+ of the dc5750's from hp and despite following the same process as the nec image, when i get into ris, it lets me login and then when it tries to start windows i get the following error message:-

INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 21. Setup cannot
    continue. Press any key to exit.

if i look at the answer file properties its pointing to the right place and i am using an admin account to build the box.

i am not sure what i have done wrong, i have been trying to fix this for nearly 2 days so if anyone has an idea it will be greatfully received.

cheers in advance and sorry for such a pain 1st post.

Re: RIS image halting, with error message about txtsetup.sif

hi all, well i seem to have sorted this myself, when i was doing the riprep image i had received an error message about multiple profiles, anyway after having deleted all profiles except the administrator one, it seems to have resolved itself (ran riprep and setupmgr again) and this morning it gets through that bit.

however i have a new issues which is as follows:-

Setup cannot copy the operating system image you selected.
    This computer does not have enough disk partitions for the selected image.

now we use here a product called avatis cd server, which was part of the build and so pretends that the machine has multiple cd drives rather than just the one, plus the card readers.

anyway i have removed the cd server client software and i am running riprep again. i hope that the amount of devices changing to the amount windows finds in its first machine inspection will solve my issue, if not its back to the drawing board.

if anyone has any ideas to help they would be gratefully received, incidentally Microsoft's answer to this issue doesn't work, hence me removing the cd server client and having another go.

Comment

this seems more like a blog than a thread but if any of this helps someone else then that's cool, if in no other way than they save themselves time.

further to my 2nd post the cd-serve client is not causing the problem, i have even built a machine purely with the basic build and yet when i riprep it again it still gives me this partition issue. anyway as i need to get these machines built i will have to go back to the way i did my machines last year with a backup file, to be honest its only saving me 30 mins a machine anyway (approx) and as they will be left to build and restore over night it seems pointless pressing the point.

as i see it, the issue seems to stem from the fact that the pc i am using a hp dc5750 has built in card readers and windows seems to get upset with them being there when you ris to it with the image.

if you boot from a cd or ris the basic cd image build then it doesn't happen, it carries on and builds the machine.

i am waiting for a couple more to come in, so i might try and see if i can disable them in the bios and see if that changes anything, but hopefully this will help someone, or maybe someone will know how to get round this partion issue for ris.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by jesta1865 View Post

however i have a new issues which is as follows:-

Sounds like this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814402

SYMPTOMS
        When you try to install Microsoft Windows XP on a computer, by using a Remote Installation Services (RIS) image, you receive the following error message:
        However, you can install Windows successfully when you run Setup from the Windows XP CD-ROM or by using a RIS CD-ROM-based image.
        Back to the top

CAUSE
        This issue may occur when the following is true: • The Windows XP installation files where the image is based (the flat, or the backing flat if you are installing Windows XP Service Pack 1 from a non-integrated flat) are the original (or Gold) Windows XP Professional Edition files.

-and-
        • The destination computer has a USB flash storage device installed.
        On Microsoft Windows Server 2003 RIS servers, this issue can also occur when both the original version of Windows XP (Gold) and Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) images are stored on the same RIS server.

This issue occurs because the Windows XP text mode setup program, Setupdd.sys permits the installation to removable media. This portion of Setup views the USB flash device as a valid installation destination. However, because it is too small for the Windows installation files, Setup is unsuccessful.
        Back to the top

RESOLUTION
        To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods appropriate to your situation:
        Back to the top

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 RIS Servers
        Remove the CD-based image (the one created by using Risetup.exe) from the RIS server or rename it so that it appears alphabetically lower than the Windows XP with SP1 integrated (slipstreamed) CD-based image.

When the non-Windows XP SP1 image is removed or renamed, the remote installation is successful.
        Back to the top

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server RIS Servers
        To resolve this issue, re-create the Riprep image and update the backing flat to Windows XP SP1 (integrated SP1).

Windows XP SP1 contains an updated version of Setupdd.sys that does not consider USB flash devices as valid installation media during the text mode portion of Setup.
        Back to the top

WORKAROUND
        To work around this problem, unplug the USB flash storage device before you install the RIS image.
        Back to the top

STATUS
        Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
        Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
        Windows XP SP1 contains an updated version of Setupdd.sys that does not consider USB flash devices as valid installation media during the text mode portion of Setup. Additionally, Windows Server 2003 was updated to allow the original version of Windows XP (Gold) to act as a backing flat for Windows XP SP1 Riprep images. The issue between Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 differs as follows: • Windows 2000 Server
        When the Binlsvc service searches for a backing flat image on a Windows 2000 RIS server, it checks each folder alphabetically, looking for a match with Ntoskrnl.exe. During this process, both the major and minor versions of the file are compared. Differences between the Gold version, SP1, and later service packs, are identified. Because of this, only an image with the matching service pack level is used. The Windows XP Gold installation files cannot be used as a backing flat for a Windows XP SP1 image.

When you re-create the image to integrate the Windows XP SP1 files, the new updated version of Setupdd.sys is used during Setup.
        • Windows Server 2003
        When the Binlsvc service searches for a backing flat image on a Windows Server 2003 RIS server, it checks each folder alphabetically, looking for a match with Ntoskrnl.exe. During this process, only the major versions of the files are checked. This permits the Gold version of Windows XP to be used as a backing flat for a Windows XP SP1 image.

When you rename the Windows XP Gold-based image so that it appears lower in the list, the updated Setupdd.sys file from the Windows XP SP1 installation files is used during Setup.
        Last edited by pjrouse; 22nd June 2007, 17:25.
        MCITP:Enterprise Admin,
        MSCE
        MCSA: Messaging

Comment

hi, thanks for the reply, i have already found that article and i have renamed the files etc. so they appear at the end of the list, and also last in the folder structure, the only big issue is that the files we are building from have windows sp2 slipstreamed, so i am not sure why this is happening, i have googled for it, but i only seem to find one other guy posting the same question.

cheers again if anyone has another idea please let me know.

Comment

jesta1865, im having the same problem as yourself. After unplugging the usb card reader in the machine it ris's fine. When it is plugged in I am finding it impossible to get the computer to ris.

The weird thing is, I can ris the computer from a flat risetup image (with no problems) but after making changes and configuring my os, I riprep the modified image back up to the server. It is this riprep image that gives me the problem and I get the error message - "This Computer Does Not Have Enough Disk Partitions". Like you have done, I unplug the usb card reader and re-ris the computer and it works first time.

The Windows XP Professional CD that I used to make the base risetup image was an original cd with service pack 2 integrated.

After reading this: "Remove the CD-based image (the one created by using Risetup.exe) from the RIS server or rename it so that it appears alphabetically lower than the Windows XP with SP1 integrated (slipstreamed) CD-based image."

I was going to obtain a Windows XP CD that does not contain any service packs and slipstream SP2 myself. But after reading your post it would appear you are using a slipstreamed cd and not an original windows xp sp2 integrated disk (so this probably wouldnt make a difference).

I have also tried editing the following line in my riprep.sif for the image im trying to use- AutoPartition=1. Apparently if you remove this line or if you put AutoPartition=0 then setup will ask you on which partition you wish to install Windows onto and advises you what to do if your partition already contains an OS. I presumed that this would give me a list of storage devices including all those detected through the usb card reader and the actual harddrive of the computer and let me choose which to install to. It didn't work though. I never got a list of devices or partitions.

So now, according to Microsoft's workaround in the above KB article i have to "To work around this problem, unplug the USB flash storage device before you install the RIS image."

This should be fun. I have 150 computers to do this on

Comment

Working...
            X