adding another domain controller in windows 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding another domain controller in windows 2003

I have a eserver raid 5 with 5 disks that is running windows 2003 server standard edition. There is already a domain controller on this server for example I will call it alpha.lan. This acts as my file server and printer server and link to the internet. I need to add another domain controller on this computer for example I will call it gamma.lan. Can this be done? Is it hard to do ? and can anyone point in the right direction to where I can find information regarding this. I need to setup the new domain controller before I have users migrate from the old one to the new one. Thanks for any help

Re: adding another domain controller in windows 2003

After reading your question I realized why it's gone unanswered.

Your question makes almost no sense.

You want to install a DC on a DC. Hmm unless you're using virtualization you can't do that unless you remove the DC role and reinstall it.

Are you trying to add a secondary DC to your existing domain?
    If so install the role on the other server or virtual server, let replication occur and you should be safe to at least temporarily take the other DC offline for testing before you make it permanant.

If that's not what you're asking please restate your question.
    Last edited by ahinson; 16th June 2007, 06:10.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: adding another domain controller in windows 2003

if you mean an additional back up domain controller this can be done. When you do the add role wizard of the new server, specify a domain already exsits and once completed, will replicate from your DC

Comment

Working...
      X