Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to kick off inactive users when they're idle

Hi,

Is there any way to configure the server to kick off inactive users or send a warning message when the users are idle for quite some time?

Thanks.

Best regards,
    TKT

Checken sie hier...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314999
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

I couldn't find winexit.scr in my SBS server. I'm wondering if it's possible to use it in the server, whereas all the domain users will be applied with this feature also.

Thanks.

Best regards,
      TKT

Comment

It's part of the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit.

You can probably use it on the server if you want.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

What I mean is that, can I use it on the server in such a way that, it'll be applied automatically to all users without having to install the screensaver on all the domain users individually.

Thanks.

Best regards,
          TKT

Comment

Sure! You have 3 options...

1. Use a GPO (User Config->Admin Templates->Control Panel->Display->Screen Saver Executable Name) to set the screensaver, point it to %Systemroot%\System32\winexit.scr or some UNC path where you place the file if you don't intend on copying it to each user's local hdd. Using this disables the setting via display properties so it can't be changed.

2. Set the screensaver by importing a registry key at logon. Nothing stops the user from changing the setting however, given that they have sufficient access.

3. Set it using VBScript at logon. Again user may be able to change it if they have access.

Originally posted by tkt
            Hi,

What I mean is that, can I use it on the server in such a way that, it'll be applied automatically to all users without having to install the screensaver on all the domain users individually.

Thanks.

Best regards,
            TKT
            Andrew

Comment

Hi,

Would you mind to show me on how to modify the GPO of the group? I have a universal distribution group with domain users in the group, but just couldn't find the group policy setting. It's a Windows 2000 SBS server.

Thanks.

Best regards,
              TKT

Comment

Here is a screenshot of the GPO setting. If you need help opening the GPO editor read my first post from this thread.
                Andrew

Comment

Hi,

I have tried to use mmc to enter the group policy for default domain policy and pointed the screen saver name to %winnt%\system32\winexit.scr, but it just seemed not working. The domain users are still not affected by the changes in the group policy. I have another question. gpedit.msc is only for configuration of group policy for local computer, right?

Thanks.

Best regards,
                  TKT

Comment

You're right, gpedit.msc is for the local security policy. Click the link from my previous message it gives instructions on how to open the domain policy.
                    Andrew

Comment

Hi,

I tried to change it in Default Domain Policy, but it just didn't apply to all domain users.

The attached file is the snapshot of the Default Domain Policy. Please comment.

Thanks.

Best regards,
                      TKT
                      Attached Files

Comment

Make sure the policy is being enforced.
                        Andrew

Comment

Hi,

I couldn't install Group Policy Management Console in Windows SBS 2000 Server. From Microsoft Management Console, I couldn't see the option to enforce the Group Policy. Any comment?

Thanks.

Best regards,
                          TKT

Comment

Hi,

I put winexit.scr in d:\winnt\system32, so does it mean that I can just put this path as the executable name for screensaver? I can see that screensaver setting in the display setting of domain users are changed after I activated screensaver and executable name for screensaver in domain policy, but it just appeared as None for screensaver for domain users instead of winexit.scr screensaver. Please comment.

Thanks.

Best regards,
                            TKT

Comment

Hi,

I have figured out why winexit.scr is not shown in the domain users' display setting. It's because they don't have winexit.scr installed. However, when I get this fixed, the domain users' pcs still won't log off after they are idle for a period of time. It seemed that the screensaver has been set to winexit screensaver, but it's not functioning. What could be the reason for this?

Thanks.

Best regards,
                              TKT

Comment

Working...
                              X